Blind test about digital and analog guitar tones for you guys to do

Thing is...even you connect once in awhile, you should have antivirus installed and you should do security patches, etc, if you want to stay protected....and then, you still end up bogging down the computer with all that stuff that isn't DAW related.

I prefer to keep the DAW boxes free of all that, and I use my internet laptop for downloads and DAW app/plug activations.
I have to use the offline authentication methods, which take an extra couple of steps, and when upgrading DAW apps with patches and stuff, I have to download to the laptop, transfer to the DAW etc....but it's really not a big deal, and that way, when I set up a DA box, it's minimal, and clutter free from anything non-DAW.
I mean...it's just my old-school way, same as with using hardwired network connections instead of WiFi....but like at work, I'll use the work WiFi if needed, plus I use another commercial WiFi for controlling digital signage crap...so it's mostly at home I keep it hardwired.

There is a bit of discussion about this (well, Win updates but related) at present at SoS .com.

The concensus seems to be that most peeps there leave their music computers connected to the net and some leave updates on automatic. Most like me use Win SE Anti-V and turn off auto udts and just check in once a week or so.

My 3 desktops and a NAS drive are copper linked via a switch but I have a wee TP-Link transmitter plugged into a spare RJ45 that radiates just for the wife and my laptops.

Note, most of the SoS guys have image backup systems. I don't because I am a PC numpty and can never sort them out!

Dave.

Miroslav

I just ran from the headphone out of my laptop direct into the Meyers with an adapter.
If you have self powered speakers in your control room just try going direct from a laptop.
The blind test is kinda fun, lol

Yup...I would do that...but like I said, no internet in the studio. :)
I'm going to remedy that his weekend.

Sorry about the computer/internet segue, Schwarzy.

Back