BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Tweedville

Wow.....I got a great gift today.I was at a friend's house today dropping off some old stuff I didn't need anymore,and he said that he couldn't just take it for free,so he insisted on giving me a guitar.He said that he only paid $35.00 for it,but it had good pickups.So I'm in my "I-wonder-what-the-heck-this-will-be" pose when he returns with a Japanese made Squire Strat! It is an '86,one of the ones with no pickguard,a painted headstock (black,to match the body),three pickups (single-single-humbucking)with an on-off switch for each one.I'm a stock strat kind of guy,but this guitar is great....you can get all kinds of pickup combos,plus the rear humbucking taps!I have been thinking about some kind of strat body with a HB pickup,but would never carve up one of my babies......anyone remember these models? Also,the basses were great too.

Around the same time a friend of mine bought Fender Strat. It's a great guitar, but as yours, it's made in Japan and has has the same pickup configuration as yours (but with an ordinary 5-way switch), and it has a Floyd Rose tremolo. All these things are of course not "original" enough to appeal to most strat-lovers, so if he would sell it he wouldn't get anywhere near what it really is worth, although the Floyd Rose and the pickup config makes it a better guitar than an strat that are more original... :)

You said it.........!!!!

I agree,Regebro.......we saw so many strat style guitars with humbucking pickups in the rear during the '80s that you felt like barfing....but it is a great sound! As I said previously,this rear PU taps to single,and when you combine that with just the front pickup,it is a rhythm king.A guy walked in the store where I work about 2 months ago with a one pickup version of the same guitar (humbucking in the bridge position,of course)...he bought his at a yard sale for $15.00,so they are still out there! (Maybe we should start a mutant strat finders club).

Back