That black **** in new strings

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to write us regarding black spots on the unwound strings.
First, let me offer you an apology for any inconvenience and ensure you that we have 100% guarantee on our strings.

Without seeing a picture of the strings, it is hard to determine why you are experiencing this issue. If they are in envelopes, we know it would be caused from the paper. This is precisely why we stopped using any paper on our strings. Since we removed paper, we have not seen any problems of any kind and I can assure you every string is inspected before it is shipped. We have not had any other complaints in Canada or from Long and mcCuade so I would like to dig into this a bit deeper to find out what is happening.

Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

1. Is it possible to take a picture of the packaging for us to look at?

2. Can you take a picture of the strings?

3. What gauge are you buying?

4. When did you buy your last set that you found the black spots on?

I will research this thoroughly and try to see why you are experiencing this. In the meantime, lease give us your shipping address and we will send out new strings to you.

JW

Hi,
Every package of Dean Markley Signature strings I buy has black dots on the unwound strings. I can't get it off and it's very annoying.
I've noticed this for a few years so it's not a new thing. It doesn't matter whether the strings are in paper envelopes and/or wrapped in a plastic pouch.
SO it must be there when you package them.
What is the black stuff and why is it on all the strings?
I buy them new at Long and McQuade.

So I finally caught the fact that this has been going on for years.... and you have still been buying them??? :confused: For years??? :facepalm:

So I finally caught the fact that this has been going on for years.... and you have still been buying them??? :confused: For years??? :facepalm:

Canadians are slow to anger... it's one of their more endearing qualities.... this also explains the continued existence of Celine Dion...:thumbs up:

Not exactly the same experience, but similar.

About a year ago i bought a set of strings for a classical guitar, the shop was out of the strings i normally used, saw a brand i'd never seen before called JVB. Thought I'd give them a go. All the wound strings had spots of corrosion or hadn't taken the silver plate right and had dark patches or dots on them.

I didn't worry too much they were totally playable and i quite liked the sound of them. Bought another set and the same. Since found out JVB strings are manufactured by Dean Markley, relabelled by JVB, an Australian company. They were in paper sleeves. I took a pic and was going to send it to them, maybe hoping for some free strings, but never got around to it, i just went back to using the strings i had before.

Maybe it's a Dean Markley QC issue, i would be interested to see if they actually inform you as to what the problem is.

jvbcorr.jpg
Not the best pic but you can sort of see, arrows on the worst bits.

Sent the guy the above picture. Maybe I'll get a free sample.
The black dots don't affect tone but are annoying.

I've been using Slinky 9s since I started playing. Never had a broken string (well, one when I was trying to get used to a Dava), but I use Dunlop nylon .60 picks which are pretty easy on the strings and do a lot of finger picking. My acoustics are 12s. Lot of finger picking there; hardly ever use a pick even if I'm just strumming. Never noticed corrosion on either EBs or D'As.

Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

The picture is of a package that is over 2 years old. No doubt, this was the same time frame that we experienced bad paper causing problems. We have let L&M know they have some old packaging and asked them to remove it. They sell through alot of Dean Markley and have not had any problems with new packaging. That still does not rectify your situation.

I will send you 10 new sets of 9-42. If that does not cover what you purchased, please let me know how many you need replaced. We are more than happy to get you right. May I have a shipping address for you?

I'm sorry to hear you do not like our new packaging. It was actually designed in combination with artist, techs and customers. It was a tough decision to make. We have had positive feed back from it but we always want to know when someone doesn't like something. Thank you for letting us know. I will take this to the factory as we are always looking for improved ways to do things based on customer feedback.

Is there anything else I can do to help you for your troubles?

JW

Hey kudos to them for handling it 10 times over. I need to write Marshall and tell them there are black dots on my amps and they should send 10 replacements.

I don't know ow how people breaks strings so often. Some of my guitars have had strings on them for over a year, sure they sound a little dull but they're not exactly fragile.

If you're using 8s or 7s it's pretty easy. Why I went to 9s. Also, if you don't pay attention to the bridge saddles between sets it can get rough and break them for you while you're playing hard. Those are the two ways I've discovered to break strings...besides the DAVA pick. My brother swears by them (and he's an actual guitarist;)), but I just couldn't make a go of it.

Funny, my pointy ibanez has been barely played in 18 months. There's a set of 8s on that about 2 years old. Played it for a few hours last weekend.

Thank you for taking the time to help us out.

The picture is of a package that is over 2 years old. No doubt, this was the same time frame that we experienced bad paper causing problems. We have let L&M know they have some old packaging and asked them to remove it. They sell through alot of Dean Markley and have not had any problems with new packaging. That still does not rectify your situation.

I will send you 10 new sets of 9-42. If that does not cover what you purchased, please let me know how many you need replaced. We are more than happy to get you right. May I have a shipping address for you?

I'm sorry to hear you do not like our new packaging. It was actually designed in combination with artist, techs and customers. It was a tough decision to make. We have had positive feed back from it but we always want to know when someone doesn't like something. Thank you for letting us know. I will take this to the factory as we are always looking for improved ways to do things based on customer feedback.

Is there anything else I can do to help you for your troubles?

JW

Tell him you need about 100 sets of new strings because there is a website full of users who are complaining about the black dots. Then I'll just go back through this thread and edit every post to say, "Me too." :D

Seriously though, good deal on them following through.

Try OPTIMA Gold strings. The best strings ever made. Electric Gold. Acoustic Gold. Classical Gold (Gold wound + carbon plains). No corrosion, no polymer coating, almost no ageing. The best calibration, the best tuning, the best natural vibration and tone. The less expensive calculating money/time. Last long long time. German quality. All this time you use the best. Like Frank Zappa used, or Brian May.

Funny, my pointy ibanez has been barely played in 18 months. There's a set of 8s on that about 2 years old. Played it for a few hours last weekend.
How would you expect them to break, if you don't play the guitar much?

Back