Some of my favorites, who don't get that much recognition:

Jorma Kaukonen
Robben Ford
Jerry Garcia
Gatemouth Brown
JJ Cale
Walter Becker
Denny Dias

Also, there's plenty of guitarists known primarily for their singing/songwriting, but who are awesome players, like Paul Simon (someone already mentioned him), James Taylor, Glen Campbell, Todd Rundgren...

I second Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd.

These guys pretty much created the whole "indie" two-guitar style.

Michael Gurley - Dada
Probably one of the most under-rated guitarists, ever. Check out the CD "Puzzle"... the man puts on a clinic.

Steve Morse - The Dixie Dregs
Kerry Livgren - Kansas
Nuno Bettencourt - Extreme
James"J.Y." Young - Styx

I agree with Buck on Michael Gurley, he's hands down one of the best and original I've heard.

I also like Billy Duffey (The Cult)

I think that Ritchie Sambora doesn't get the respect he deserves. I think people tend to associate his image with his "hair band" days.

My favorite under-rated blues player is Corey Stevens.

Fine Guitarist

Hey let me enlighten you'all Birelli Lagrene , is GOD's gift to the world, you listen to him and really follow his thinking and you know there is a creator in heaven. The dude started recording at 13 or 14. I saw him play at my college in 1984 (Five Towns College NY) and let me tell ya it was a revelation never NEVER NEVER and to this day have I seen anyone come close either on record or in person technically,melodically whatever. The funny thing is you really have to see him live to appreciate the depth of his genius. He is one in a million. He has his own web site search Birelli Lagrene. Buy "duet's" Birelli and Stephan Luc both from France by the way are awesome together. Oh one more thing check out Stephan Luc's band SUD. Very hip. The french people really appreciate Jazz........ Just think if the Rock and Roll thing never happened in this country or at all we would have a lot more real musicians ........ OUCH THAT HURTS. just messin'

Great choices all...

Paul Simon does some amazing fingerstyle work on some of his earlier solo stuff and in his Garfunkel days...I've always respected his willingness to go beyond his "normal" stuff, ie. Graceland, etc.

Phil Keaggy is another one that will blow you away...not one that gets much publicity due to his being pigeonholed as a "Christian artist"...but a helluva player.

My favorite has always been Larry Carlton...he's done some great session work for years (old Boz Scaggs, Christopher Cross's first album, Steely Dan, and a bunch of others)...he plays rock, classical, jazz...I've never heard anyone play over more complex progressions than him (anyone that can solo thru Steely Dan changes has got an ear..) In addition to his session work, he's put out several solo albums.

A couple of more:

Lowell George -- magnificent lead and slide player, great songwriter and singer and the heart and soul of Little Feat, one of the great bands of all time...

David Torn

I'm sure there's more but just got the "dinner's on!" call...

Al,

Forgot Lowell...and also forgot Michael Hedges, another great player who unfortunately isn't blessing us with his talent anymore...

Saw a couple of you guys in this and another thread mention J. Mascis.

This guy stinks!

No, not his guitar playing, I mean his body. I think if all the slackers in the world could summon enough energy to have a slacker election, they would have to elect J. as their ruler.

I go to a music store in Amherst, Ma. near where J. lives. I was in there one day dickin' around and this bulldog walks into the store and around the corner to near where I am sitting. I can't see the door from where I am to know who the dog belongs to, but I'm thinking to myself "whoa, this dog really SMELLS bad. I stand up to put back the guitar I was playing and there's J. and I realize that its not really the dog that I smell, its HIM. Dude smells worse than an English bulldog (his), and that's no small feat!

Slack on, J.!

peace.

Good call on Carlton......but wasn't it Lee Ritenour in Fourplay? I could be wrong.
I think Robben Ford is brilliant,but he gets recognition for it.How about David Lindley,as a sideman and solo?

Well, I think all the jazz guys from Alan Holdsworth to Lee Rittenour are under-rated.

But, has anyone ever mentioned Peter Frampton?

Carlton Rules

Carlton started in fourplay on fourplay 4 Ritenour had "other obligations".

Mike Stern

I had previously said to check out sylvan luc he is hot also Mike Stern is very hot for the people that like John Scofield you'll love Mike Stern. For all you metal / alternative dudes you need to take a dose of Joe Pass intercontinental he smokes. What about Stanley Jordan he's too good, play's like a keyboardist two hand taping style,
What about John Williams the classical guitarist..... smokin', What about Frank Gambale now he is very good sweep picking to the max check out vital information (the group)

I'm showing my age, and my fading memory, but the lead guitarist for Country Joe and The Fish was incredibly unique and original. I don't remember his name, and he undoubtedly disappeared as fame passed him by, but I used to lift up the stylus of the record player and go back 5 or 6 grooves just to hear his solos over and over again.

Back