Best tone

Toker41

Better Than You
OK,
Some of you didn't get why I posted the "worst tone ever" thread. I always hear what people like about what they like, and what they hate about what they hate. I was looking for what they hate about what they might like. For example...
...I love Niel Young, but damn that man needs to learn something about tone.

Anyway,
For all you that didn't get it, lets have the list of Best Guitar Tone ever...please keep in mind it should have nothing to do with how good or bad a player the artist is. And please, if you want to reply and bash someones list...go to the "worst tone" thread and list the reason you DON'T like a tone there...not here.

...My #1 choice...Michael Carlino from FEAR OF GOD. The album "Within the Veil" has some of the best guitar tone ever caught on tape. Gotta love a Mesa Boogie.

I agree about Neil Young, brilliant songwriter/musician but his eguitar tone is terrible...

As far as my favorite guitar tones..

John Petrucci
Jim Matheos
EVH

:)

Some tonemeisters:
  • Allan Holdsworth
  • Jeff Beck
  • Mick Taylor
  • Wayne Krantz (when not using his wah)
  • Wes Montgomery
  • Jim Hall
  • Joe Pass
  • Adrian Belew (though he gets a little on the snarky side for me sometimes)
  • Pat Thrall
  • Hendrix
  • Robben Ford
  • Lowell George
  • Larry Carlton

Kelly5150 said:
I agree about Neil Young, brilliant songwriter/musician but his eguitar tone is terrible...

Neil's tone is terrible....wonderfully terrible, just like his voice. He knows what he's doing.

David Gilmour
That guy from Coldplay...dont know his name.
That other guy from the Flaming Lips
George Harrison (slide stuff)

BEST tone ever...

Mick Mars especially in the earlier Crue stuff

CC Deville especially in the "Look what the cat dragged in" record

Pearl Jam (amazing playing too)

The Ramones

and the best tone I've heard is:

That talented kid from Hanson.

Carlos :D

Jeff Beck{anything from Blow by Blow on}
Allen Holdsworth{U.K era}
Al DiMeola{Early solo era}
Lesley West{great rock n roll}

Oh and I almost forgot...Earl Slick..The sound on "David Live" particualy on "Cracked Actor" ..Just rips!

Don

ooh ooh ooh i know ....

well if you asked me 10 or 15 years ago i would have said EVH but alas i'm an old codger of 36 now so my ears are forever seeking the tone of Billy Gibbons and i know it's sacrilige but i really dig his eliminator tone but not the big hits the obscure stuff on the album i.e. "I Need You Tonite" the man is the whitest black dude i know ...and that is meant in the most respectful way...but don't get me wrong EVH is still miles ahead of most guys ,and he's been of the radar for what seems like a decade ....i dig trey anastasio too and no i aint a hippie but i like th fullness he gets ....later

Nei's tone was great IMO, cinnamin girl is exactly what an electric guitar should sound like, give cortez the killer a listen as well.

I'm a Tull fan, so I have to submit that early Marin Barre was some of the best tone I've heard, especially Minstrel in the Gallery.

Mark Knofler from the debut album.

I'm going out on a limb here but I have to say Iron Maiden, that slinky heavy metal tone is killer.

Frank Zappa during the Best Band You Never Heard and Make a Jazz Noise Here era.....that "scary clean" tone as I think Steve Vai put it.
And especially the second part of The Torture Never Stops from Zappa in New York.

And John McLaughlin on Miles Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson album.
At about 25:00 minutes into Right Off he busts into this H U G E sounding overdriven solo-ish section.
Sound like fuckin Godzilla on steroids.

The first song of of McLaughlins The Promise has him and Jeff Beck conversing and has some nice sound about it too.

......oh and of course Watermelon In Easter Hay and Outside Now from Joe's Garage.

-mike

A few more I forgot earlier:
  • Steve Hunter
  • Mick Abrahams on the first Jethro Tull album, the Blodwyn Pig records, and his Mick Abrahams Band album.

Dave Johnstone (hope that is right) from Elton John did some really good work on Alice Coopers From the Inside album. Some really great tone. Highly underated Alice album.

I can't believe how many posts it took before the "SULTAN" was mentioned! Back in the 70's when he came onto the scene, I think everyone else was looking for that "unique" sound, and he just raised the bar.......not only with the sound, but with a style and finesse of the frets like no other. Left everyone with their mouths hanging open.

bd

Toker41 said:
Dave Johnstone (hope that is right) from Elton John did some really good work on Alice Coopers From the Inside album. Some really great tone. Highly underated Alice album.

Holy crap! I was right! I've always liked Alice Cooper but thought he sounded a little too much like Elton John. Everyone thought I was nuts...but I was right!

"From the Inside" was my introduction to Alice Cooper so I guess I got that Elton John sound ingrained in the Alice Cooper part of my brain. Great album!

Back