best pickup for me -- single coil, double coil or humbucker?

Call-Of-Ktulu

Rockaholic
I like a very smooth, razor sharp sound thats got a tight chug when you palm mute it on the dirty channel. I like the high notes to come out solid and pure sounding and when you strum and open chord I like it to be under control and intact so you can hear the difference when you modify the chord a little or something. On the clean channel i don't like that tin sound, i like it to sound natural and real almost like an acoustic guitar but a little crisper while still being able to have it sound soft when you strum it. I realise this has A LOT to do with your amp and I'm thinking tube amp might be what I'm looking for but I don't know the difference between all the different kinds of pick ups. As far as I know, the ones that are kind of loose in your guitar with the 6 little dots are humbuckers, right? I have another guitar where the pick ups are solid and black, theres a thin one about half an inche wide near the bridge and then theres another one near the neck that looks the same but its about an inche wide. What kind of pick ups are these? They're both low end guitars btw. Anyways, thanks guys

Call-Of-Ktulu said:
I like a very smooth, razor sharp sound thats got a tight chug when you palm mute it on the dirty channel. I like the high notes to come out solid and pure sounding and when you strum and open chord I like it to be under control and intact so you can hear the difference when you modify the chord a little or something. On the clean channel i don't like that tin sound, i like it to sound natural and real almost like an acoustic guitar but a little crisper while still being able to have it sound soft when you strum it. I realise this has A LOT to do with your amp and ...

a lot has to do with amps, and a lot with the guitar as such (woods, neck joint, weight, strings, bridges, etc...)

some of what you look for are typically "single coil" (smooth, razor sharp) other aspects are more "humbucker-style" (chug w/ palm mutes)

my advise ... look into hum's w/ 4 cables so you can do coil splitting to get the best of both words.

sorry for not being more specific in my advise

Back