Best Overdrive pedal

Depends on what you want...

I like the crunch from my Mesa Boogie twin. Our guitarplayer uses a big muff. (Alot of guitarplayers I know use it.) But he uses it just for more sustain. He also uses a VOX fuzz-thingy for an extreme cutting kinda distortion on some lines...

But for real overdrive... Most of my friends use there amps overdrive...

I also use the amp's overdrive (Marshall Valvestate), but I also use the "Guv'nor", also from Marshall. I say sometimes since it has a very distinctive sound, it's actually a "one-trick-box". Got it cheap but there are many better pedals.

Dirk Demon

Basically, I would like to know what pedals can give me a warm (tube-like) tone, sustain, and remain musical. I just don't like digital overdrives and distortions.

So I would like to know what good analogue overdrive pedals are out there ...but hearing opinions directly from users.

tubes... aaahh...

Try the v-twin. The tubefactor of H&K might be to your likings too... They can warm up an overdrive of any amp/pedal. These will even make a very good amp sound a little better. They add less to the sound if you've got a very good amp already. If you haven't got a good warm sound... oh boy. My v-amp even makes my Roland JC55 sound warm!!

Or get tubes in your amp, and use a big muff for sustain...

gtds,

It sounds like what you want is an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9. It has been used by countless musicians (SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepard) to get that warm and wonderful overdrive, but it still allowing the true sound of the guitar and player techniques to come through. I have the tubescreamer TS9-Dx and couldn't be happier. The only thing I woud like to do is have mine moded to be like the TS-808 from the seventies. Check out the below website. This guy, Mike, modifies new tubescreamers to be like the vintage TS-808, which is the same one SRV used. You can even buy them new in the box and already moded. He moded pedals for KWS, Scott Henderson to name a few. Read a bit about it and check out the reviews on the pedal. I have purchase a few pedals from him and he is an absolute pleasure to deal with and knows tons about vintage effects. Hope this helps.

http://www.analogman.com/

YZL

YesZep Lick said:
gtds,

It sounds like what you want is an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-9. It has been used by countless musicians (SRV, Kenny Wayne Shepard) to get that warm and wonderful overdrive, but it still allowing the true sound of the guitar and player techniques to come through. I have the tubescreamer TS9-Dx and couldn't be happier. The only thing I woud like to do is have mine moded to be like the TS-808 from the seventies. Check out the below website. This guy, Mike, modifies new tubescreamers to be like the vintage TS-808, which is the same one SRV used. You can even buy them new in the box and already moded. He moded pedals for KWS, Scott Henderson to name a few. Read a bit about it and check out the reviews on the pedal. I have purchase a few pedals from him and he is an absolute pleasure to deal with and knows tons about vintage effects. Hope this helps.

http://www.analogman.com/

YZL

Thanks for the great link, YesZep Lick. I haven't heard a TS pedal since the 80s, but I always loved them and would love to have my own. I'm stuck with a solid state Randall head through an Ampeg 4x12, and I'm thinking that if I can get the bread for a TS it would help make my sound a bit more tubish, if I ever decide to mike a cabinet rather than use amp sim plugins.

Which of this guy's pedals do you have, btw?

Heres another vote for the Mesa Boogie V-Twin. Theyre kinda pricey, but its worth it. Its got a clean channel, a gain channel and a solo channel (which boosts the gain channel a couple of db). 3 band EQ so its easy to work with your amp. And best of all, its got tubes in it...for that tube sound.

I havnt wanted for another distotion box since I got this one, and the thing is built like a tank, so you'll have it for life. If you can find one in a store, definatly play it, as distortion is a very personal thing.

The tube screamers and Big Muffs are great boxes too though. It just depends on what you want.

Good luck

Beaverbiscuit,

I got the Teese RMC 3 Wah which is unbelieveable. One of the best wahs out there (Trey Anastasio from Phish uses one). I also got the Captain Coconut 2 pedal which is also unreal. Its a Fuzz, Octave and Provibe all in one, handmade one at a time by Dave Foxx @ Foxxelectronics. It totally nails the Hendrix / Gilmour thing. I am completely psyched with these pedals, and Mike at AnalogMan.com is a pleasure to deal with. I had a gig like 6 days before I ordered it right around Christmas. I expressed my need for the pedals by the gig date. He got it to me before it! Great customer service. I am a very satsified customer and am sure I'll use him in the future. I plan on getting my TS-9DX moded to TS-808 by Mike. Its like $50 or so, but from what I hear, well worth it.

YZL

YZL, thanks for the info. It sounds like this dude is seriously committed to customer service, which is a rarity today. Maybe I'll check out the Captain Coconut someday; sounds like a cool tool. Already got a Morley wah/volume. Too many pedals, not enough cash :rolleyes:.

Thanks for your replies

Thanks YesZep Lick

I am checking out this guys web site at the moment. Looks good. I live in the UK though. I'll have to see if he sends stuff overseas (will also have to check power conversion issues).

Can anyone recommend pedals (and amps) for the following sounds...

- A Gilmour sound - a coconut pedal?
- Jimi Hendrix - a cocnut pedal?
- Led Zep sound
- ACDC sound

Thanks
gtds

I have a pre Tubescreamer overdrive pedal from Ibanez. Actually I have been informed it was the first model they made in about '74. I always liked it's sound but as it is no longer used I am thinking of putting it on Ebay.

For those interested I have attached some pics of my unit, but be warned.......they have become rather collectable, the last one I know of selling in the US for approx., $400US.

Attachments

• od-2.jpg
    od-2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 50
mmmm Tube sound...

I like Electroharmonix Hot Tubes (two 12AX7!!!)
and Muff Fuzz...

Ibanez Tubescreamer also, but try to get a cheap hand-made one...they always sound good and they are unique...I built a couple of them...but none with tubes yet....

Peace...

PC

gtds,

With the captain coconut 2 and a strat, you can get some pretty darn good Hendrix type sound. The fuzz totally sounds like the tone hendrix got on Purple Haze. I also can get a decent Gilmour type tones with the coconut using a combination of the coconut and a tubescreamer after it. This is more of the sustaining sound Gilmour gets like in Comfortably numb. I really like the pedal, and it has a tone tones you can get from it.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/

Click audio samples.

YZL

along with the Ibanez Ts9....the only real choice is the ProCo Rat. It is by far and away the best and most dramatic changing pedal for overdrive/distortion....no doubts about it. For a sample listen, check it out in the MP3 clinic, with my post "here's one when sober". The lead comes in about one minute into the song sample; "intro idea." This is the Rat plugged in direct to the recorder...and to me, shuts down my POD, J-station...and all the other zillion pedals I have owned.

Zoom

Could you believe it, Zoom came up with some analog pedals that are very very decent indeed. Please consider the Power Drive PD-01. This is not a joke!

If you say overdrive, i say Tube Screamer!!

You won't regret it, it sounds warm and still edgy on every amp.

Back