Best Analog Delay Pedal with True Bypass?

nkjanssen

What options are there out there? Which do you prefer? I'm not looking for long delay times or huge functionality. Just something that does one thing really well. And, preferably, something that is sturdy, easily portable and very reliable (so an old Echoplex is probably out of the question). With true bypass. Could be current production or discontinued. I'm not averse to E-Bay.

easychair said:
True bypass sometimes ain't all it's cracked up to be.

How so?

I just want something that isn't going to tone-suck when it's not in use. If there are active buffered units that don't tone suck, that would do the trick as well. In my experience, though, most every pedal I've used that isn't true bypass has had some small adverse affect on the signal when bypassed.

everyone will say memory man deluxe..ill say it first cause i got it ;)

its warm, and it has a body...like, substance....but its expensive as hell and "hardly" worth the money (it is, but its a pain to pay. i own too many stomps and each and every one is a pain to pay, especially with shit like the zoom G2 coming out - supposed to be the dog's bollocks - if i had to it all over again, idd just get this G2 stomp, wich is very very good, instead of owning a shitload of stomps, some used for 2 or 3 songs only - sorry about the rant)...anyway..i also have an ibanez de7 that kills any digital delay out there and has a very very good echo simulation...self oscilatory as well if you're into that.

the maxon and ibanez purple ones are very cool too, but even more expensive that the memory man (very good stomp but very big as well)..

you're right in wanting a true bypass, its useful and efective, and hassle free cause u dont have to undo the whole stomp rack everytime you want another sound, etc...but some stuff advertised as true bypass, may not be..u have to double check.

Or you can just go nuts and get the nastiest non-true-bypass effect and invest in some sort of Bradshaw switching system so you don't have to worry about it.

I'm seriously considering it because I want lots of layered effects (a bit of delay, a bit of chorus and a bit of flange all mixed together), switching straight from that into straight distortion takes some talented foot tapping. I also have some effects that aren't true bypass and it sucks a bit of highs out of my tone. :(

I'm interested in hearing the Memory Man pedals. I love EH stuff (I have a Small Stone and an Echoflanger aka Polyflange/Polychorus) but haven't been able to get my hands on a Memory Man yet. Still stuck with my Boss digital delay.

Interesting that analogue delays are coming back in.

I've never used one - what's the attraction (I have a DD-3 for delay right now).

I played with a Roland Space Echo recently and it was by far the best delay unit I have ever used. I guess the analogue delay pedals are another type of beast again...

Codmate said:
I've never used one - what's the attraction (I have a DD-3 for delay right now).

I don't know what it is about the Memory Man, but everything that goes in just sounds better when it comes out, even with the delay practically inaudible. Some kind of magic, I suppose. I typically overdrive mine just a touch and keep the effect level low. It makes everything sound very, very sweet. I don't know for sure if it's true bypass or not. I don't think it is. I don't care though, as I rarely bypass it.

Codmate said:
Interesting that analogue delays are coming back in.

I played with a Roland Space Echo recently and it was by far the best delay unit I have ever used. I guess the analogue delay pedals are another type of beast again...
I guess the analog delays have some sound decay over time right? They probably fade out in terms of volume and clarity. A digital delay (or at least the ones I've used) only fades the volume over time.

I could be wrong though, but that's what I would expect.

nkjanssen said:
What options are there out there? Which do you prefer? I'm not looking for long delay times or huge functionality. Just something that does one thing really well. And, preferably, something that is sturdy, easily portable and very reliable (so an old Echoplex is probably out of the question). With true bypass. Could be current production or discontinued. I'm not averse to E-Bay.

Ibanez UE-400 or UE-405 (one of those got the analog delay) ... damn - what a great multiefect!!! ... late 1970ies early 1980ies

have seen those go for 150 bucks if you are patient enought

cheers
alfred

nkjanssen said:
How so?

I just want something that isn't going to tone-suck when it's not in use. If there are active buffered units that don't tone suck, that would do the trick as well. In my experience, though, most every pedal I've used that isn't true bypass has had some small adverse affect on the signal when bypassed.

Well, it can be a trade-off, and good cables are a must. If you run a 10-footer to your pedal, and another 10-footer to your amp, you double the capacitance when you are in bypass. This can make enough difference to change your tone a lot when you switch the effect in and out.

ROblows said:
I don't know what it is about the Memory Man, but everything that goes in just sounds better when it comes out, even with the delay practically inaudible. Some kind of magic, I suppose. I typically overdrive mine just a touch and keep the effect level low. It makes everything sound very, very sweet. I don't know for sure if it's true bypass or not. I don't think it is. I don't care though, as I rarely bypass it.

this is exactly it...sweet is the word. its a special stomp alright. the new ones are true bypass, the older models - absolutely not. Mine is more than one year old and im pretty sure it is. I also have a small clone (about 5 months old) that is true bypass as well.

if u guys wanna stay digital, unless u can afford a boss RDD10, boss is pretty bad altogether...(i only care about one stomp of theirs - enough to have two - the HM-2. Ive never seen a stomp that can create such beatiful, defined and warm walls of sound and distortion)...if u wanna stay digital idd sugest the other delay i have (the ibanez DE7) or maybe some of those digitech x series delay...they're pretty versatile...but the DE7 has a brutal following and i can see why...the echo is just great.

Back