Beginning on a hollowbody guitar.

Colour

I'm looking for opinions on learning to play guitar on a hollowbody guitar. Specifically, a semi-hollowbody.

I have little experience playing guitar, but I'm looking to get into it seriously. What I'm looking at is an Oscar Schmidt OE30 (link). I was inspired to look at hollowbodies after my friend jammed on his OS OE40 (a similar model). I just loved the sound/tone of it.

What I'm posting this for is asking whether starting to learn on a (semi) hollowbody is a good idea. I suppose it really comes down to what I like myself, but in your opinions, would that be a good idea? is it harder to learn on a hollowbody electric? is that even a good guitar? should I stick with something more conventional, like an acoustic, for learning?

I did try to research the topic, but it's actually hard to find out stuff about what to start on because it's so subjective. What's more, it's harder to find stuff out about hollowbody electrics. I know that they tend to have lots of feedback and a quieter tone...

I hope this makes sense and I don't get yelled at or whatever. Sorry for this ultra-newbie question. I hope I posted this in the right place...

Thanks.

It really doesnt matter what kind of guitar you start on. The very most important thing in my opinion is to have a guitar that is easy to play. Whatever you get, take it to a luthier or guitar tech to set up the guitar to make it easy for you to play. Thge hours you will be spending learnign guitar will be much more bareable if you don't have extra sore fingers on top of everything else.

H2H

I agree with Hard to hear....make sure it plays and intonates well(is in tune as you play up the neck). My first good guitar was a used 68' Gretsch anniversary model. About 4'' thick and completely hollow. My brother played a little and picked it out (he was into Chet Atkins) It's a great playing guitar(I still have it 25 yrs. later) It's loud enough without being plugged in to noodle around on. Almost like having an acoustic too. If you're happy with the tone and don't expect it to have a "heavy" sound for other stuff, then go for it!!

Back