Basses

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Can't be arsed to waste money on a new bass - I have far more pressing issues on my wallet, so I'm gonna work with what I have.

Right, these are my two shit basses: Bass 1 (red) and Bass 2 (burst)
Bass 1.JPG
Bass 2.jpg

Bass 1: Plays pretty well, feels comfortable, looks pretty cool and basic (just a plank with a pickup in it), seems to have decent tuning/neck stability and the intonation is pretty good. Its sounds dull as fuck though, has no punch to it.

Bass 2: Again it feels pretty nice and I quite like the sound of this - this is the one you'll all have heard on my recordings - its pretty prominent and briefly solo in the last thing I posted in the Tone Thread. It looks like something an old jazzer would use though, and the neck is really unstable, I've fucked about with the truss rod on this bastard loads of times. It also has shit intonation. If I'm playing a bassline with no open strings I sometimes tune it flat to compensate.

I'm restringing Bass 1 this week, so hopefully that will perk the tone up a bit, but it also doesn't have the long bridge pickup that Bass 2 has. I'm assuming that this contributes quite a lot to the punchiness of Bass 2.

Do you know of a reasonably priced pickup I could stick in Bass 1 which would make it sound better? I'm pretty handy with a router - would it be a particularly awful job to route Bass 1 and stick the bridge pickup from Bass 2 in it? Or can you think of a good bridge pickup I could just stick in Bass 1. I never use the tone controls (or even the volume on my basses) so I'm not interested in anything complicated.

At the moment I only use Bass 1 for scratch tracks during the week - would be nice to get it to a standard where I can record some keepers with it.

In case you're interested Bass 1 is a Hohner Rockwood and Bass 2 is a Jim Deacon (I think this is just mass produced, chinese stuff - I've seen Stagg and other brands that look identical - I think Minerman has one too)

Can't be arsed to waste money on a new bass - I have far more pressing issues on my wallet, so I'm gonna work with what I have.

Right, these are my two shit basses: Bass 1 (red) and Bass 2 (burst)
View attachment 98144
View attachment 98145

Bass 1: Plays pretty well, feels comfortable, looks pretty cool and basic (just a plank with a pickup in it), seems to have decent tuning/neck stability and the intonation is pretty good. Its sounds dull as fuck though, has no punch to it.

Bass 2: Again it feels pretty nice and I quite like the sound of this - this is the one you'll all have heard on my recordings - its pretty prominent and briefly solo in the last thing I posted in the Tone Thread. It looks like something an old jazzer would use though, and the neck is really unstable, I've fucked about with the truss rod on this bastard loads of times. It also has shit intonation. If I'm playing a bassline with no open strings I sometimes tune it flat to compensate.

I'm restringing Bass 1 this week, so hopefully that will perk the tone up a bit, but it also doesn't have the long bridge pickup that Bass 2 has. I'm assuming that this contributes quite a lot to the punchiness of Bass 2.

Do you know of a reasonably priced pickup I could stick in Bass 1 which would make it sound better? I'm pretty handy with a router - would it be a particularly awful job to route Bass 1 and stick the bridge pickup from Bass 2 in it? Or can you think of a good bridge pickup I could just stick in Bass 1. I never use the tone controls (or even the volume on my basses) so I'm not interested in anything complicated.

At the moment I only use Bass 1 for scratch tracks during the week - would be nice to get it to a standard where I can record some keepers with it.

In case you're interested Bass 1 is a Hohner Rockwood and Bass 2 is a Jim Deacon (I think this is just mass produced, chinese stuff - I've seen Stagg and other brands that look identical - I think Minerman has one too)

If you want a new pickup you should check out tonerider on ebay. I bought a set of humbuckers from them and they sound good.

Guitar fetishes always offers fantastic bang for the buck too.

If I was going to go cheap I would probably do a ebay search for used bass pickups and then list the result from lowest price plus shipping to highest price.
Then I would Google for reviews on the various low price pickups.
you may find a really good used pickup for 5 bucks you never know

As far as installation goes...
If you are pretty handy with a router you should have no problem routing for that bridge pickup. You would also have to have a long drill bit to drill your wire tunnel from the control cavity to you newly router pickup cavity

Restring them before you do anything else. Dead strings could be the source of both the tone problems in your P style bass and the intonation issues in your PJ. Get them set up too, or better yet learn to do your own setups.

---------- Update ----------

Cheers Jimi. Regarding bridge pickup, is that a J Bass pickup?

Yes.

Robus, I can set a guitar up. The neck on one of my basses seems to be really unstable though.

Now I know I am looking for a J Bass bridge pickup I'm finding there are loads of them available for under 10 quid too!

Hmmm. It looks like Bass 1 has fairly centered Ps. Are you going to move them toward the neck and fill, or are you going to run the two sets of pickups an inch apart? Have you considered a brighter or hotter set of Ps?

Hmmm. It looks like Bass 1 has fairly centered Ps. Are you going to move them toward the neck and fill, or are you going to run the two sets of pickups an inch apart? Have you considered a brighter or hotter set of Ps?

Dunno yet - I can pick up a pick up (haha, see what I did there?) for under 10 quid and the both of the basses are essentially worthless so I'll just experiement. I did notice that it would end up being pretty close to the existing pickup if I put another one in though.

Make sure you research where to put the pickup. There are harmonic considerations and the energy in a string near the bridge isn't much. Does it all matter? No, not really, but you should probably measure a few just to get a ballpark idea.

BuildYourGuitar.com :: Pickup Placement
Cheers, Greg. I was just gonna check that the scale length of my two basses is the same and put the pickup in the same distance off the bridge as on Bass 2. If they are a different length I was gonna stick it the same proportion of that length off the bridge.

That's quite a cool link actually - keep shit simple.

If you want a quick fix get a Behringer BDI21.
It's a clone of the Sansamp bass DI but MUCH cheaper and it'll do a LOT to improve your tone DI or into an amp.
Dull & lifeless bass tone - strings and playing position.
Bass 2 - take it to a luthier and get the neck/intonation fixed - cheaper than a cheap bass and will make a difference.

Bass 2 - take it to a luthier and get the neck/intonation fixed - cheaper than a cheap bass and will make a difference.
I didn't think a luthier would be able to do anything about the amount the neck flexes and how much I need to constantly adjust the trust rod - I thought that was just a feature!

EDIT: Just checked out that BDI21 - crazy cheep for what it is.

Last edited:
Back