Bass Question re: pickups

My jazz bass the TI's are on doesn't have the string through body option. The low tension definitely takes getting used to. What I really like about these strings is the midrange. They're not as deep as LaBellas or Chromes or many other flats, but there's still plenty of bottom. They're just not "dubby" like a lot of other flats. They work well in a rock mix. The mids allow them to cut through without a bunch of muck. 48 bucks is a good price. They last for years.

Yeah I listened to those strings on youtube (DI recordings) and noticed immediately they're a bit thinner sounding, which might be good for the problem I'm having. Mostly my issue is with the E string. The A is borderline but usable. I can't even record with the E. It is so boomy. I play almost all my basslines on the A string, and it makes jumping around a pain with timing. So I need to figure this out. Maybe I'll bring it to the shop they have a lifetime free setup on any instrument bought there.

Robus said:
You can always adjust the pickup height before you think about messing with internal adjustments. Pickups on both of my basses are set low. It sounds more natural and better that way to my ears.

I wouldn't bother with pole pieces at all, unless maybe a DiMarzio with the allen screws. Even then, if you mess it up you have to dial it back in again. I like the idea of lowering the pickups too. The number in the guide is only a starting point, really. Easy to adjust with a small phillips.

Back