Bass- Passive vs Active for recording

doriangrey

"I'm sharing this in hopes some of you might be able to share your experiences with Passive vs. Active pickups and your recording procedures involved."

I am mainly a guitar player. I have a cheap P-bass copy I use for home recording. I love the sound because it has active EMG-P's. It has served me well for recording in my home studio but now the neck is warped and there is major fret buzz.

Nigel's Blues Mp3

Above is a sample mp3 using the following:

-----------------------------------------------------

- My cheap P-bass copy with active EMG P pickups going through the recording out of Mesa Boogie Mark IV

- PRS Artist III going through recording out of the Mesa Boogie Mark IV

- Korg Triton to lay down the drum tracks.

and then going into > > Creative EMU 1820m > Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro

-------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Great bass tone IMO, except for the occasional fret buzz and warped neck, lol.
So... I'm considering these 4 following basses for a replacement:

*Schecter Robert Deleo Model T ( with EMG's )

*Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline ( like a P-Bass with passive pickups )

*Schecter Robert Deleo Model T ( with Seymour Duncan passive Basslines PJ )

*Fender Precision Bass ( passive of course )

Now, from my experience, I have been playing and recording using my current bass that has these active EMG's and have been pretty content. It has yielded great results.

I'm afraid to switch to passive pickups, I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I have my recording set up. I might have to purchase a Sansamp Bass Driver because of the passive pickups and I don't know if I will be happy with my bass tracks anymore.

Can anybody out here in Bassland help me decide which way to go? I'm about to drop several hundred dollars and don't want to regret this experience. I hope someone can help me decide, lol.

Thanks!
Derek

Back