Bass making buzz noise when i point it certain directions

Nola

hi guys my bass (fender p bass) makes a buzzing noise when i face it toward my south and north facing walls. and it's quiet (mostly...there's a very low level buzz that seems within normal) when i point it in the direction of the east or west facing walls.

this is through a DI box into my interface. do you know what would cause this? i tried two cables and it's the same issue.

update: i kind of stood in a fixed point and then rotated and depending which way i faced there were all different noises. some way worse than others. one direction, west toward my kitchen, was pretty quiet. it seemed noisiest pointing the bass's front at the wall with my preamp and computer on it.

Last edited:
It's probably your computer, they can be electrically noisy and the guitar pickups are like little directional antennas.

You might also have a compressor cranked somewhere in you chain which can bring out the buzz even more.

It's probably your computer, they can be electrically noisy and the guitar pickups are like little directional antennas.

You might also have a compressor cranked somewhere in you chain which can bring out the buzz even more.

thanks chili i don't even have my daw turned on so no compressor or anything.

is there any way to fix this or is it just a matter of moving around until it is most quiet and recording there? will a bass always have some noise or can they be made completely silent? i actually like noise and make noisy songs, but i don't like this type of noise.

also, is there anything else you think it could be besides the computer? i'll see if i can somehow eliminate the computer as the problem now.

Happens with guitars and basses for me. Single coils are worse, but even humbuckers or the split pickupts on the P bass show it. I get as far from the computer and (especially?) monitor as possible when tracking. Once you've figured out where to stand and which way to face, then you can work around it.

Also, if you happen to be tracking to a laptop, unplug the power supply and run it on the battery.. see if that makes a difference. Same with pedals. Anything you plug into the wall will make it worse.
If it's really bad, you can swap out the p'ups for bass humbuckers.

thanks everyone. i guess i never noticed it before b/c my preamp didn't have a lot of gain. i got one with more gain a few days ago and now i notice it so i bet it's just amplifying the lower noises that were there and i never heard. i actually found a good mix of gain and output on the preamp to make it quiet if i sit in a certain position. i just gotta make sure not to move. so much for feelin' the grove and dancing around the room while recording. do pro studios deal with this type of stuff too or is it a home recorder problem?

Does the noise change (get better or worse) when you touch the strings, the bridge, or the metal barrel of the plug?

Everything makes noise, and damn near everything picks up noise from the world around it. As mentioned above, pickups in guitars and basses are especially bad because they are pretty much specifically built to be sensitive to changes in the EM field around them - they are antennas. Worse yet, they are generally very high impedance internally and connected to very high impedance at the other end of the cable, which is technical speak for inherently noisy.

You can't completely eliminate that noise. The best you can hope for is to optimize the signal-to-noise ratio so that the sound you want to hear (the strings in this case) is enough louder than the noise that the noise is not a real issue. How much louder is enough louder depends on all kinds of things, including your performance dynamics, any compression/distortion downstream, and your own tastes.

Usually the biggest source of noise that we get from a guitar is our own bodies. Actually, I think our bodies tend to concentrate and focus the noise from the universe around us, and just happen to be usually be really close to the pickups, but... Most guitars include a string/bridge ground meant to alleviate some of that by "shorting it to ground" when we're actually touching the strings - (hopefully) most of the time we're actually playing. This is why I asked my initial questions. If that bridge ground is faulty, you can have more noise than you might otherwise. That's usually an easy fix, but not always.

The other thing you can try is to shield the pickup and control cavities in the instrument. There are various types of copper foil sold specifically for this purpose, but I always just use heavy duty aluminum foil like you'd use in your kitchen attached with spray adhesive. This needs to be connected one way or another to a good "ground point" in the circuit, which is again sometimes easy and sometimes takes a little work.

Of course you can try switching to humbuckers from single coils. There are also "noiseless" pickups out there (which can't actually be completely noiseless, just a lot less noisy), and Low-Z active pickups followed by a preamp can sometimes be quieter than High-Z passives. All of these options will change your overall tone, and usually require some fairly serious surgery to achieve.

The source of the RFI/EMI noise could be anything - old fluorescent lighting, bad grounding of the electrical circuits in the building, an outside transformer (on the pole) that is imbalanced.

Does it vary if you move from place to place? (i.e. if you get a long cable and stand facing north in another room, is there still buzz?)

Are you particularly close to the (magnetic) north pole or something that it's directional like that?

Does it vary if you move from place to place? (i.e. if you get a long cable and stand facing north in another room, is there still buzz?)

Are you particularly close to the (magnetic) north pole or something that it's directional like that?

Thanks everyone I will take all that into consideration and see what I can do.

I think what I will do is just face the direction that's quietest and then keep the gain down on my preamp. I notice if the gain on the preamp is around 6 and I face the other way it's actually pretty darn quiet. If I turn the gain to 7 or higher and/or face near the wall with the computer, or the wall opposite of that, then it gets really noisy. Maybe it was always this bad and my ears just weren't as sensitive to it. Next time I see my luthier i'll ask him if he can put anything inside the guitar like the copper shield. Oh, and when I do touch the strings it seems to get quieter. Someone asked that. Yes it does.

The fluorescent light bulbs that replaced incandescent bulbs are an often overlooked but ubiquitous source of RF.

Paj
8^)

Back