baritone or 7-string... a philosophical question..

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Hi there,

I've been pondering about this for a while... i'm gonna get a new guitar, i like the heavy tunings, so i detuned my six strings... But now the limitations of downtuning are eating me ..

sooo...

i thought, for tight bass response and a standard tuning (in a or so) I have two options;

a baritone; pro; six string, cheaper parts, more choice in pickups
cons; longer neck (i have no clue how this feels... i do have big hands...) hard to get here in holland...

7 string; pro; lotsa 7strings around now, cheap, you can pick ';m up anywhere...
Cons; almost no choice in pickups, i'm stuck with ibanez or will have to spend the big cash on carvin or warmoth (i live in holland so it's BIG cash, piles and piles...)

OR

baritone 7 string; pro; i can have some bad ass tunings without it farting out... no one i know plays a baritone 7 so i woudl have somnething pretty distinctive
cons; Only warmoth and ibanez have one.. and if you take the piles of money from the last one you'll need another pile... is it worth it?

Now what would you do?

i want mhogany and/or bubinga wood./
string thru body
EMG pickupds AND a p90 (ofcourse a off-the-shelf ibanez doesn't have muzh of these features... but i can pick one up new for 500... even less second hand)

Help me decide...

Guhlenn

I remember seeing a ESP 7string w/a set neck, string thru body, emg's for around $600 a while back. Dimarzio makes about 2 or 3 7 string pickups now.

so you would go for the seven string?

anyway , if the esp is only 600 then the emg are most likely piec of crap EMG-H's... so i would have to add another 250 to get a decent pickup combination...

But I'll check it out;...

Thanks man

Guhlenn

Before you buy a new guitar, have you tried heavier strings? Put on a set of flat wound 13s and tune down to about C and see how that feels and sounds.

i play gibson type guitars.. the 24 3/4 doesn't help much... never tried flatwound, but now i use 62-13 and i have a decent set up about every hgalf year...

Mind you the sound i'm getting is good, but i dislike the bass response... not fat enough... plus i get disgusted everytime i want to play some simple chordstructures... playing an open E is a bitch when your guitar is tuned to a-d-a-d-g-b i'm sure you can imagine... Don't ask me why i did... but i'm in a band so it's not like i can change my tuning anytime i like i write ,most of the shit and it's very specific to my tuning... at least my parts are...

So C is NOT low... hehehe:rolleyes:

no 7 strings to be found on the ESP site btw, and the baritones cost 750 with the crappy duncan designed hb's...

Guhlenn

Back