Attaching a guitar nut to neck... Help please...

Obstacle1

Hey there, does anyone know how to attach a nut to the neck of my guitar - the original nut split so i bought a new one. Does it need to be glued in or just slotted in???

Thanks in advance

obstacle said:
Attaching a guitar nut to neck... Help please...
Ahh man. There's only one way that things comin' off of there, and it aint pretty. How'd you get your nuts attached to the neck anyways?

What he said, I'm pretty sure that's something best left to someone with the correct tools for the job. Not sure, but I think those grooves have to be cut to very specific depths.

solo.guitar said:
If you have to ask you might be better off taking it to a shop, at least the first time you have it done.
The man said it all. I have a rule, I will repair a guitar that the owner has had a go at once. If he has a second go and fucks something else I refuse to take it. I don't have the patience to be nice anymore.

when it takes more then a screwdriver to do the job :

have it done by an expert!!!

and even some screwdriver jobs are best left to pros.

:D

Dont you have to also file the grooves just right? I would never attempt anything like that unless I knew what the hell I was doing. Man, take it to the shop.

Sirnothingness said:
Dont you have to also file the grooves just right? I would never attempt anything like that unless I knew what the hell I was doing. Man, take it to the shop.

Depends on how low you want the action and whether the it is grooved to begin with.

First, you need to find out if the nut seat is flat or radiused. The flat seats are easier to install. The top of the nut should follow the radius of the neck. Needle files for the slots...and alot of patience.

Slowrider said:
First, you need to find out if the nut seat is flat or radiused. The flat seats are easier to install. The top of the nut should follow the radius of the neck. Needle files for the slots...and alot of patience.

Good point. If the back is curved, good freaking luck. :D

This site sells a lot of guitar tools. They also have an assortment of How To articles that can be useful for repairs.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles.html

However as others have already said, be sure you have the right abilities. It's much cheaper to have it done by a pro than to have a pro fix problems created by doing it wrong.

Ed

Have ordered several times from Stew-Mac. great service if you talk to their techs., they know their poop!

Back