Anyone using Gibson Burstbucker Pickups?

Guitarweb

Believe it or not, I have an acceptable sound coming out of my Epiphone G400 custom. A set neck and 3 double coil pickups are making a big difference on this one.

I have a fetish for gold hardware so I was going to trade up to the Gibson White Les Paul Studio w/gold hardware.

Oddly enough, I found the playability of the LP studio to be inferior to the G400. I know the one I was trying out had a bad setup, but I didn't find the neck overly comfortable in the first place. Sound wise though the LP was a bit better.

Think I'll keep the G400 for now, so I'm looking for gold PAF style replacement pickups to bring the sound up a notch. saw the burstbuckersT 3 (over wound for bridge) and was wondering if anyone has tried them and thinks it would be worth it.

i own the les paul standard plus. the guitar comes stock with the burstbucker pickups. They are definately a rock n roll pick up. I love 'em and they are just what I need to get the job done. I write stuff similar to the black crowes and zeppelin, and there really is nothing better. they distort fairly easily, much more so than the classic '57 pickups in my es335.
Hope this helps,
Blake

I have put BBs in both my '73 SG and my Les Paul. I really love them. I had tried them in the SG first, then got them for the LP. They are a fairly low output humbucker, like the original PAFs. Especially compared to the 57 Classic Plus or Angus pickups. I probaly play a similar style to steelpetals up there, kind of a classic meets modern sound. They work great and have a nice midrange punch. They have a better top end bite, I think, than the 57's....due to their mismatched coil windings. These are my current favorite pickups.

H2H

Thanks for the replies guys. I play an odd mix of stuff (one minute its jazz-rock fusion, next minute some black metal).

Think I'll try a burstbucker out... but i'm pretty sure anything is going to sound be better than stock epiphone pickups.

Guitarweb said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I play an odd mix of stuff (one minute its jazz-rock fusion, next minute some black metal).

Think I'll try a burstbucker out... but i'm pretty sure anything is going to sound be better than stock epiphone pickups.

I wouldn't expect to play any metal with a burstbucker. They are too low output and "loose."

spoonie g said:
I wouldn't expect to play any metal with a burstbucker. They are too low output and "loose."

If they are acceptable for harder rock and fusion then i'm ok with it.

For my metal endeavours I think I'm going to get a jackson kelly and slap some EMGs on it. I had a flying V with EMGs and I'm missing it these days.

Not sure which kelly though maybe a used ke-2 from the pre-fender days or even a new ke-3 (yikes!).

i play heavyish music most of the time and i think burst buckers sound great for it. though i am using either the 1 and 2 combination, or the 2 and 3......i can't remember right now...........whereas the new standards are coming with bb5's/pro's which are much higher output.

burstbuckers?

hi, i'm in the market for a nice set of gibson burstbuckers for a hand made "ace frehley" les paul i'm working on; and would like to know if anyone could tell me if the "unwaxed" burstbucker #2 & #3's feedback would be useful or should i go with the waxed alnico V pro's? thanks

My Gary Moore Sig. Les Paus has em. Wow I would want anything else in it. Geared toward rock. If you wanted hotter i would go with the 500T. The burst bucker is an nice all around pickup.

I have BB Pros in my LP Classic and am very satisfied with them. They can get Page tones, 50's and 60's blues tones and fat, steel guitar tones. Very nice!

Back