Anyone here owned a Blues Deluxe Reissue that had problems?

liv_rong

Knows very little
I picked up one on CL that has some problems that seem to be fairly common in these amps. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with these things?

I think I read, in your thread at A&A, that you are missing the channel switching foot switch. I junked my HDV amp and I think I have one of those footswitchs. Let me know if you want it....I'll give it to you.

Lol. I know I've heard that one of them has lots of problems, and the others just sound shitty.
The pre-amp sounds shitty but the clean channel on those amps are phenomenal. Close to a super reverb level clean tone.
They break a lot though.

There were problems with the whole series, earlier versions anyway. No idea about the II and III versions. There were some caps that had a habit of burning out and the reverb tanks tended to fail. All repairable. I've owned an original HRD for 15 years and encountered both problems. Tone wise, they try to be a Swiss army knife with the clean, drive and "more drive" channels. But like Jimi said, the best tones are still in the clean channel. Think of it as a blackface with a mid and presence control.

I think I read, in your thread at A&A, that you are missing the channel switching foot switch. I junked my HDV amp and I think I have one of those footswitchs. Let me know if you want it....I'll give it to you.

Yeah man that would be awesome, thanks! I'll pay the shipping of course.

Dropped it off today at the shop. I called a bunch of places and though a few of the more reputable ones knew of problems with this amp only one knew specifics and actually sounded like they knew what they were talking about. Problem with mine is its stuck in the dirty channel, which IMO doesnt sound good to begin with, and the reverb doesnt work. Ill know in a few days if it was what they thought and hopefully it stays reasonably close to their quote.

Ahh fuck, they just called. He said someone had been in there before and done some work by making some jumps with wire and also just solder :facepalm: So he thinks now to get it back to normal and fix the other problems is going to be $160-200. So, now Ill be back into it for what a used one in working order would have cost in the first place and Im going through the hassle of this shit. At least it has a better speaker and Ill know there wont be any issues for a while. But boy I fucked up on this one :o

Sounds like you made out well to me. No additional cost from buying used (or not much more) but the amp has been given a once over and has a better speaker. Good for you.

My buddy bought a used Vibrolux and it has serious issues. Got at used at what one in good condition would go for. He's going to have to put in at least $150 to get her right. But when it's right, wow this amp sings.

Hey liv...
If you get a chance to talk to the tech today or tomorrow, ask him if the foot switch from a hot rod Deville will work for channel switching on yours. I'm planing on sending it your way Wed. I'm pretty sure it will work but I'm no expert.

Hey liv...
If you get a chance to talk to the tech today or tomorrow, ask him if the foot switch from a hot rod Deville will work for channel switching on yours. I'm planing on sending it your way Wed. I'm pretty sure it will work but I'm no expert.

Will try, hoping they contact me within that time frame first. Thanks again!

It's no big deal if you don't talk to him. I'll plan on sending it anyway. I have read in amp forums that the pedals are different. The Hot Rod pedals have a drive and a more drive button, while the blues Deluxe has a drive and a Reverb button. I was reading a thread on a Forum about a guy that was having trouble getting a Blues Deluxe foot switch to work on a hot rod amp. I thought maybe your tech might know a mod that would make it work. Seems to me like the drive button ought to switch the 2 channels on the amp but the more dri e button may not control the reverb...I dunno.

Back