Any Mesa Boogie Mark IV owners?

metalhead28

Hates Raymond
I've recently decided that I must have one of these amps after hearing John Petrucci's live tone the other night.

I've also heard that these things are amazingly versatile. Is that the consensus around here?

Go ahead, contribute to my gear lust!

did you happen to get a look at the rest of his effects rack? when i saw them on the Metropolis Pt2 tour at the 930 club a few years back, his tone was so chock full of processing that the amp, really, was practically negligible.

but maybe he's playing guitar->amp these days?

cheers.
wade

Three channels of wimp, oldfart, or rocker. Also simu-class power stage switching. Metallica used these before they started to suck.

Rock on, you will not be dissapointed. IMO it's the up there right under the Diezel amps.

mrface2112 said:
did you happen to get a look at the rest of his effects rack? when i saw them on the Metropolis Pt2 tour at the 930 club a few years back, his tone was so chock full of processing that the amp, really, was practically negligible.

but maybe he's playing guitar->amp these days?

cheers.
wade

Yeah, I checked out his rack, and while there were a few effects boxes - I'm inclined to say that most of the set was pretty straight amplifier. This was his solo stuff on the G3 tour...he seems to keep it pretty simple in that setting.

Last time I was amp shopping (and even though it was too expensive for me), I tried one of those out. It was one of the most impressive amps I have played on for a variety of reasons. The tone was great, the amp was extremely versatile, and the whole attention to detail thing was cool (There's something to be said for those little hooks in the back for hanging up the footswitch).

If I remember correctly, it had a lot of gain on tap. This I will never forget: I was in GC, and all of those fifteen-year-old noodleheads were "jamming" (i.e. scratching up LPs and burning up Marshall tube life), and the amp was turned waaaay down because I was trying to be a polite shopper...nevertheless, I was graced with a rich, full, fast, and articulate harmonic feedback that was totally controllable. If I can sit in a noisy GC and get an amp on 0.5/10 to feed back at my whim--with glorious tone, I might add--I can't imagine what it would do at full-tilt.

I can say first hand as a EBMM JPM 6 and 7 stringer owner, that the guitar he's playing has a lot of "darkness" in it's character then, of course, as someone already mentioned, he's not playing into a naked amp either. I end up EQing the dickens out of it to put the mid back into the tone.

Suggestion...take YOUR guitar down to Guitar Center and plug in.

never played a mark IV, but both the guys in lamb of god use them, and their guitars sound fucking brutal, both live and in the studio

A Mark IV is like a Pod. :D

Really. The different modes won't sound like you think they might from the names, for one. You most likely will need to sit with the thing for awhile and play with it to get tones you are happy with. First impressions can be deceiving, leaving you with that "What's the big deal?" feeling.

boingoman said:
A Mark IV is like a Pod. :D

Really. The different modes won't sound like you think they might from the names, for one. You most likely will need to sit with the thing for awhile and play with it to get tones you are happy with. First impressions can be deceiving, leaving you with that "What's the big deal?" feeling.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Like a POD :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back