Any Boss DS-1 users? What's it good for?

notCardio

I walk the line
Got one, haven't been able to get a sound I like out of it. What's it supposed to be good for? Is it a hair-metal pedal, hard rock ala Aerosmith, what?

Got one, haven't been able to get a sound I like out of it. What's it supposed to be good for? Is it a hair-metal pedal, hard rock ala Aerosmith, what?

It's good for sounding nasty. If gritty fuzzy buzzy "distortion" is your sound, it's perfect. I think they're probably best suited to be used on a clean channel or SS amp. If you want a more classic, traditional overdriven tube sound, that pedal is not the ticket.

man,
i got super smooth lead tones,
pushing a gainy mesa boogie,
for many years.

you guys just don't know how to roll knobs.

man,
i got super smooth lead tones,
pushing a gainy mesa boogie,
for many years.

you guys just don't know how to roll knobs.

Yeah that must be it. They're great pedals that nobody knows how to use. That's why people can't give them away or have to totally mod them to make them halfway decent.

Or maybe your tone wasn't what you thought it was.

if i thought it was worth the trouble,
i'd post something.

in fact,
if someone really wants to hear a great example of what can be done with a stock DS-1, PM me and i'll send you clips.

steve vai is one of the earliest DS-1 users i know of, maybe there are others....

trust me greg, i know good tone when i hear it.

Well, I don't want to get into the pissing match, but at least I'm not the only one who doesn't care for it. I thought maybe I just wasn't dialing it in right.

Vai may be an incredible technical player, but he doesn't really do anything for me. I'm pretty much anti-shred. I'm not knocking it, it's just not my cup of tea.

And if I have to buy a 'gainy' Mesa Boogie to get this pedal to sound good, then I guess I'll just have to move on to another pedal.

Well, I don't want to get into the pissing match, but at least I'm not the only one who doesn't care for it. I thought maybe I just wasn't dialing it in right.

Vai may be an incredible technical player, but he doesn't really do anything for me. I'm pretty much anti-shred. I'm not knocking it, it's just not my cup of tea.

And if I have to buy a 'gainy' Mesa Boogie to get this pedal to sound good, then I guess I'll just have to move on to another pedal.

I guess I'm just naive, but I always figured that if I had a Boogie, I wouldn't need a $30 pedal.

All of this X 1000000.

What are you looking for in a pedal that has you curious about the DS-1?

I guess I'm just naive, but I always figured that if I had a Boogie, I wouldn't need a $30 pedal.

hm.

i always thought of pedals as 'color', not the soul source of my sound.

when i said boogie, that could easily have been a heavily driven fender twin, or bassman......
could have been a cleaned up marshall with some drive.

and applying a little pedal gives it a different eq, and a different color.

i think you guys should get out more.

hm.

i always thought of pedals as 'color', not the soul source of my sound.

when i said boogie, that could easily have been a heavily driven fender twin, or bassman......
could have been a cleaned up marshall with some drive.

and applying a little pedal gives it a different eq, and a different color.

i think you guys should get out more.

Lol. Defensive much? Get over yourself. It's great that you like the DS-1. No one's coming to take it away from you. Let those with more discerning tastes have their opinions too without your silly butthurt.

There are several Boss pedals that I like. The DS-1 is not one of them.

Bang for buck, Boss has some nice offerings. Although they've gotten more expensive over the years so that margin is disappearing.

I love the switches in Boss pedals, they're gigantic and hard to miss with your toe.

I had a DS1 ..... only pedal I've ever had that was totally useless for anything I could discover.
Gave it away and I don't ever give stuff away.

I suppose if you turned the gain all the way off and used it to push the front end of an amp you might get something non-sucky ........ but I've often described it as the absolute worst 'bees-in-a-can' mosquito fuzz ever!

lol. Defensive much? Get over yourself. It's great that you like the ds-1. No one's coming to take it away from you. Let those with more discerning tastes have their opinions too without your silly butthurt.

lol

Back