another brilliant, affordable new tube amp

It certainly sounds good from what I've heard. RC is obviously good at promoting it and playing it through a bloody good set of speakers but its still the same amp. If it had come out a few months ago I would have been considering it, as I tried a Tiny Terror which I liked and a mate of mine has the Victory V30 (Dutchess or Countess? Can't remember which) that I also liked.

I just looked up how much a V30 costs... no wonder it a) sounds so good and b) wasn't on my shopping list.

Seriously though, the new amp is still 2/3 the price of the V30. $850 may seem "affordable" to some, but still out of my league for just a head. I'm still trying to raise funds for a AC15c1x...:)

i guess i was off with the mesa head costs,
for the mark5:25 it's $1299

but for the 'deceased' transatlantic line, the TA-15, it's about the same.

i think the closest tube head i'd be interested in, in that price range, is the $800 Orange OR15.....
similar wattage, and it's got an effects loop as well.

Well the RD1 has an effects loop doesn't it?
i guess i was off with the mesa head costs,
for the mark5:25 it's $1299

but for the 'deceased' transatlantic line, the TA-15, it's about the same.

i think the closest tube head i'd be interested in, in that price range, is the $800 Orange OR15.....
similar wattage, and it's got an effects loop as well.

yes, that was the point.

there are several really good lunch box units (such as the mesa TA-15) that have a great sound, but no FX loops.

honestly, serious recordists probably do not want effects printed with an awesome guitar sound...
they want pristine dry recordings, with some good room sound, and add anything else at mixdown.

but i like the idea of the loop just for practicing, just like i do with my 60 watt mesa boogie, and pull the FX when doing 'keeper' tracks.

honestly, serious recordists probably do not want effects printed with an awesome guitar sound...
they want pristine dry recordings, with some good room sound, and add anything else at mixdown.
I think most people who are "serious recordists" for who'm it is more than just a hobby they enjoy (like me) also play live a lot. Effects loops can be very handy live.

I don't ever have a burning desire to use the loop though, I just stick everything in the front of the amp - but then I don't use that many effects and don't use reverb pedals or anything.

That room sounded pretty nice. Even his voice with the mic across the room sounded pretty good.

Back