AmpliTube Users

famous beagle

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering is this is normal. I'm playing a Hagstrom Swede (humbuckers) and using a Presonus MP20 as a direct box. The input level into the MP20 is only halfway up if that; it's nowhere near the red at all.

In AmpliTube, I'm using the Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb model. You can see the settings on the screen shot. I'm trying to push the amp model into a bit of half-dirty grit. Also notice that the levels are nowhere near distorting within AmpliTube or in the Reaper track (Guitar 1).

Listen to the samples. You can hear it with the AmpliTube engaged and with it bypassed.

When it's engaged, the tone is nice, but do you notice a slight scratchy sound on the attacks? It's hard to hear on some of them, but it's pretty clear on the very last strum.

On the bypassed signal, this isn't there at all, so it's definitely happening in AmpliTube.

So my question is to AmpliTube users. Does this sound normal? It supposed to be modeling some speaker distortion/rattle or something?

If I use a really clean tone or a really distorted tone, I don't hear this. But when it's half-dirty like this, it pretty much seems to happen on any amp model I've tried.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• AmpliTube screen.png
    AmpliTube screen.png
    799.8 KB · Views: 85
  • AmpliTube test - bypassed.mp3
    275.3 KB · Views: 10
  • AmpliTube test.mp3
    275.3 KB · Views: 13
That does not sound right at all. Maybe it's just one of those side effects of modeling but I'm not sure. Give me an hour or so and I'll fire it up and see if I get the same results. I'll go with a guitar loaded with buckers, too, just to have a somewhat similar comparison. I can honestly say that I have not ever heard such a thing using amplitube with my rig though... :confused:

To me, that sounds like digital modeling of an amp just getting into a little tiny bit of breakup. Real amps do this too. The note attack will very briefly crunch, then fade into clean. The problem is this sim is not doing it very nicely. That's what it sounds like to me. Or it could be something fucking up. It unfortunately sounds like that too.

I just plugged in and tried this, as close as I could get to the same settings in amplitube (from what I see in your screenshot) and it sounds the same as what you posted. Nasty sounding digital breakup is about the only way I can think to describe it. Lemme see if it sounds like that with a few others and if there is any difference I will let you know; I may also try out something similar on waves GTR3 just to see if it does the same thing, too.

To me, that sounds like digital modeling of an amp just getting into a little tiny bit of breakup. Real amps do this too. The note attack will very briefly crunch, then fade into clean. The problem is this sim is not doing it very nicely. That's what it sounds like to me. Or it could be something fucking up. It unfortunately sounds like that too.

This is what I was thinking. I remember hearing the same kind of thing when I use real amps in that half-dirty state -- that brief break-up at the attack -- but, like you said, it sounds nicer on a real amp. I guess that's one area where the modelers still have a ways to go. (Or, at least AmpliTube does. I don't have a lot of experience with many other modeling plugins.)

I've found a bit of a workaround by moving the mics around on the cabinet modeling screen. It seems to get worse when it's directly in front of the cone; it's much more tolerable in other positions. Of course, that changes the tone a bit (or a lot, depending on where the mic(s) are), but I've been able to find a good trade-off by finding a better mic position and adjusting the amp's EQ if necessary.

I know that you're probably thinking, "Why don't you just use a real f*cking amp?" And I do whenever I can. But when I have to get something done at night, unfortunately that's not an option.

I just plugged in and tried this, as close as I could get to the same settings in amplitube (from what I see in your screenshot) and it sounds the same as what you posted. Nasty sounding digital breakup is about the only way I can think to describe it. Lemme see if it sounds like that with a few others and if there is any difference I will let you know; I may also try out something similar on waves GTR3 just to see if it does the same thing, too.

Thanks for testing this out. It's good to hear that my program (or something else in my chain) is not the issue. See my above post regarding a workaround.

I'd really like to hear if you have better luck with other modelers. Maybe the half-dirty tone is just an area where AmpliTube falls a bit short?

Or that particular Fender sim. Did you try getting a similar sound from the Twin sim or any others?

EDIT

Sorry, I see you have. Do you have the Orange plugs. The Rockverb 50 is the only one I've tried that gets any kind of decent half break like that...

Or that particular Fender sim. Did you try getting a similar sound from the Twin sim or any others?

EDIT

Sorry, I see you have. Do you have the Orange plugs. The Rockverb 50 is the only one I've tried that gets any kind of decent half break like that...

Yes I do have some of the Orange models, including the Rockerverb 50. I just tried it, and I can still hear it on it as well. It's hard to compare the two (Deluxe Reverb and Rockerverb 50), because the tone is totally different so it's kind of apples to oranges. But when I adjust the Rockerverb to try and emulate a sound that's close to the Deluxe, I can still hear it. Maybe it's not as offensive on the Orange ...? but it's hard to say.

Thanks for checking it out.

I did say decent...short of getting on a real Twin or Vox, I don't see getting better than the Orange with MY plugs.

@Beagle... I tried to find a happy medium between Amplitube and GTR3 earlier. I can try and post clips if needed but I didn't get the same digital noise with GTR3 that I did with Amplitube when I tried a somewhat similar signal chain within the VST. It was there but it was very subtle - I was using a bassman model vs a deluxe reverb though. I tried the mic positioning within amplitube earlier and it helped but...it's still just not totally awesome. If only we could all afford all of the amps (and have the room for them) that are in the sims...

At any rate, thank you for reminding me to only use the sims for scratch tracks! :D

Back