Amp Recommendations

A funny thing about the '68 reissue: it was always a total mess when turning it up above about 5 on either channel. The overdrive that it produced was unpleasant, and the whole thing rattled pretty badly and would actually start to produce weird resonant notes unrelated to the notes that I was playing. Not a recipe for a pleasant sound.

A few weeks ago, I got a Two Notes Torpedo and ran the 68DR into it with the speaker unplugged. Without the speaker and chassis involved, I think it sounds pretty damn awesome. I can really crank it and get nice sounding distortion/OD. So I think that my troubles were a combination of one or more slightly microphonic tubes, and the fact that a tube combo is just a torture chamber.

Having now experienced what a load box and speaker/cab/mic emulator can do, I'm hard pressed to recommend anything less for quiet/apartment electric guitar recording. But that's a topic for another thread...

Hey, Tad. I'm new to the whole load box/emulator thing, so bear with me. I get the load box part - your tubes, both pre- and power, but how is the emulator thing different than using sims or modelers?

Oh, and which Torpedo are you talking about?

Well, I just looked 'em up and thought the Studio would be what I wanted.

Then I saw the price at Sweetwater. :(

That's crazy talk:

well, they can do the best they can. One can play surf on anything, as I have had to do since '66. In my opinion, my BF Twin Reverb could pull it off. In our later Sock-Hop/Pool Dance days, we would see the local bands covering this on Vox and Kustom stacks. The bigger Fenders did the best. Now, there was the instrumental guitar that isn't Surf and might not be as demanding, and my SF Deluxe could do alright at low levels

reverb with some amp splashed in.

That would be Muleskinner Blues by the Fendermen. I guess that was mostly developed for studio Yodeling : ) We might of heard more Jimmie Rodgers if they had the right reverb. Father of Surf Music. hahah

"Hey, Tad. I'm new to the whole load box/emulator thing, so bear with me. I get the load box part - your tubes, both pre- and power, but how is the emulator thing different than using sims or modelers?"

To give it its full name, a SPEAKER emulator is an entirely analogue circuit that, (as it says on the tin!) 'emulates the sound of a guitar speaker in a cab. If you have ever pugged a guitar into a 'hi-fi' system you will know that the sound through full range speakers and amplifiers is hash, thin and piercing. There is also a good chance of blowing the tweeters, especially with OD sounds.

Many amps have an FX out, a very few have a switched level FX out and very, VERY few have both AND Em' out and almost none except (cough!) have Em' out and two cab choices!

There are almost no pedals with emulation except of course (cough!) .

Dave.

Back