Amp Noise.

CMunch

My Marshall is making a weird noise but only when I play 8th fret on b string or 12th on g, fuckin irritating, almost sounds like it's coming from the reverb thingy, don't think it's tubes.

Any ideas?

Or should I just sell it and buy the HT-5?

Marshall amps suck. :)

A vibration from one note - something's loose somewhere. Does it happen at all volume levels? Is it coming from the speakers, the amp or the cabinet itself?

A vibration from one note - something's loose somewhere. Does it happen at all volume levels? Is it coming from the speakers, the amp or the cabinet itself?

All volume levels and it sounds like something vibrating in the amp, noise seems to come from rear of amp and not through speaker.

The amp is a DSL401 combo.

Lol, if I send you an mp3 of the noise you could add it to your Lead 800 Guitar Rig model, sound closer to a real Marshell then eh? :D
I use a real JCM800, it just isn't mine. :laughings:

Besides, you'd have to record your amp, and we all know you don't play or record anything. :wtf: :laughings:

Sympathetic vibrations maybe that's what it's called..?
Where certain frequencies rattle objects in the room.
My bass player has that problem in every room he plays in.
Different notes each time....

Sympathetic vibrations maybe that's what it's called..?
Where certain frequencies rattle objects in the room.
My bass player has that problem in every room he plays in.
Different notes each time....

Had that problem with a Laney amp I had, turned out it was one of the side covers on the central heating radiator in my room rattling, only did it when playing that one amp, took me about a week to find and two seconds to fix. :D

If it was the low strings...then it could be the resonance causing things to vibrate - the sympathetic vibration that's been mentioned, but being the high strings and high notes...like Mike said, it could be tube gone microphonic, and only certain notes get the tube going.
Swapping tubes is the easiest test (assuming you have other tubes)...could be any of the tubes, so you have to go down the line and swap 'em and see if it goes away.

Okay, my mistake, which tunes of yours did you use the 800 on?

Pretty much all of them for the past 2 years or so. Sometimes I'll do the leads with guitar rig because I gotta sit there and figure em out for 17 straight hours.

After checking the tubes I took the reverb tank out and fired it up, no noise, changed one of the small springs, also the tank was fixed to bottom of amp hard against the bottom strip of timber that the back screws onto, moved it away half an inch and screwed it down.

Seems fine, have to wait until tomorrow to crank the fecker and see if it's totally fixed. :)

Back