Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: American strat vs Mexican strat

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    I was browsing through Fender's website, I noticed that an American Strat is more than twice the price of a Mexican Strat. What is the difference between two? I can understand that the American model is probably better built, but we're talking 1500$ vs 650$ here (for a Deluxe Fat Strat). Is the Mexican strat an American Strat at a bargain, or is the American Strat really worth such an expense?

Thanks

Wink

Better pickups, better tuners, better frets, better fret job, better wood, better paint job, better bridge, better elctronics, better assembly, better case, better resale value, better get the American Strat!

foo

[This message has been edited by foo (edited 01-02-2000).]

Thanks

Wink

I have to agree and disagree with foo. Yeah the American Strat has better wood and so on but if the Mexican Strat is in your budget go for it. I have one and I'm really happy with it.

Thanks

Wink

DropD, you can make a big difference by changing the electronics. This is one thing I've found that make cheap guitars sound thin. I can't say as though it will sound like an American strat, but it will sound a hell of a lot better than it does stock. I've been recording with some real cheap guitars lately ($300 Canadian), and I must say.. their pretty damn good. Guitars have improved over the years. The latest one I'm using is a Jay Terser, check them out if you see one anywhere.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 01-03-2000).]

Thanks

Wink

My Nissan Sentra is mexican made too, and it's as reliable as the US made Sentras )

Thanks

Wink

DropD - - To answer your question "is it worth the expense"?

I think it damn well is - but I wouldn't pay $1500 for a Deluxe Fat Strat I'd pay $550 for a new American Strat (that's what I paid)

Shop around - if you can afford it the American is a great guitar.

Thanks

Wink

The difference is going to be day and night. You can feel it and hear it instantly.

The American Strat isn't really an expensive guitar (as guitars go), so there's little reason to purchase a Mexican strat unless you don't have a guitar at all. BTW, the American strat is a pawn shop dream. Since they typically run around $900 new (here), you can usually find em in decent shape at a pawn shop for half that.

Slackmaster

Thanks

Wink

Lord: I forgot to tell you, I live in Canada, the lowest street price I could find for an american Strat is 999$CA, not 550$

I really don't care about the look, what interest me is the sound. If I change the bridge pickup (the one I use 97,4% of the time), can I get the same sound as an American Strat on a mexican strat?

Thanks

Cool

If the budget is a real concern (and when isn't it, I guess) try to find a Tokai Strat copy from the early eighties and install Seymour Duncan Vintage replacement pickups on it.

I'm with his Slackness on this - do the pawn shop thing - you'll be amazed at what you can find.
    foo

Thanks

Cool

I've got a Squire strat (around $300) that is pretty decent. I'd play it more except my Ibanez Artist kicks major ass! My point is, throw several Mex strats into a pile and most of them will be less-than-worthy but a few of them will be excellant guitars for the price. I put an EMG select in mine and I think it's just peachy.
    Also, one of the best tones I've ever heard came from a Hondo, which was a very cheap brand.

Thread Information