American strat vs Mexican strat

About two years ago I bought A Squire Strat classic series, Changed the bridge pick up. added the tone control on that pick up too. Played with the set up a lot, couldn't get the action really low, but came up with some compromise, after a series of trail and error of shims. Flatten the frets then crowned them, not a bad set up after a lot of tinkering.

My preference for a Strat is my basically my go around guitar amongst the Tele and Les Paul, probably the comfort of the contour body as well as using the floating bridge with out the bar.

Someone at work mentioned that he rented an American Strat to do a gig and was impressed with the super low action of the guitar. So I researched the net on this subject and went off to my local music store and auditioned a few Fenders strats.

I will say that the Mexican strats are great, the action is low as well as the appearance. Plug em in and they sound really good, not much different then the squire strat, they are priced between the American standard and the Squire axes.

I read about the Fender American special strat, spotted one in stock and went back to the store to try out one. The sales man was gone for a while and while I waited I compared a Mexican Strat to a standard and noticed the Standard wasn't as stingy in the upper frequencies as the Mexican, while auditioning on a Fender twin amp.

Although the American Special was water damaged he brought out American Standard in its hard shell case with cream colored with a maple neck and just looking at the complete package simply wowed me. I went into the loud room, fired up an orange combo an played both modes of clean and distortion, I was sold by the vibe and super low action. Throw in the case strap allen keys, cord, Fender strap with a bonus Apex clamp tuner, the extra $ was worth it.

About two years ago I bought A Squire Strat classic series, Changed the bridge pick up. added the tone control on that pick up too. Played with the set up a lot, couldn't get the action really low, but came up with some compromise, after a series of trail and error of shims. Flatten the frets then crowned them, not a bad set up after a lot of tinkering.

My preference for a Strat is my basically my go around guitar amongst the Tele and Les Paul, probably the comfort of the contour body as well as using the floating bridge with out the bar.

Someone at work mentioned that he rented an American Strat to do a gig and was impressed with the super low action of the guitar. So I researched the net on this subject and went off to my local music store and auditioned a few Fenders strats.

I will say that the Mexican strats are great, the action is low as well as the appearance. Plug em in and they sound really good, not much different then the squire strat, they are priced between the American standard and the Squire axes.

I read about the Fender American special strat, spotted one in stock and went back to the store to try out one. The sales man was gone for a while and while I waited I compared a Mexican Strat to a standard and noticed the Standard wasn't as stingy in the upper frequencies as the Mexican, while auditioning on a Fender twin amp.

Although the American Special was water damaged he brought out American Standard in its hard shell case with cream colored with a maple neck and just looking at the complete package simply wowed me. I went into the loud room, fired up an orange combo an played both modes of clean and distortion, I was sold by the vibe and super low action. Throw in the case strap allen keys, cord, Fender strap with a bonus Apex clamp tuner, the extra $ was worth it.

1) the setup (aka low action) seems to be your taste. I think any Mexican Strat or Squier can be setup well too. SETUP

2) Then the familiar "tone" , the highs not as bright....but this is only pickups, some like gritty curnch and some like creamy smooth. A mexi or Squier can have different tones too. PICKUPS

3) Then finally its the "vybe"......and the US Strats have a lot more vybe, and probably always will.

Interesting post...I think it perfectly sets up why we pay the extra money for one guitar series over the other.

I was thinking about getting a Mexican strat (over American for money reasons), but I actually have another question: has anyone used the Strat HSS, which has a humbucker? I see that the Standard and the HSS are the same price, so I'm wondering if getting the humbucker is a no brainer...or if there's any good reason not too e.g. compromising on tone or something.

In my opinion, the HSS vs. SSS question is not nearly so cut and dried.

If it is one's only guitar, yeah, I'd go with the HSS for some variety. But I'd also want a coil tap and splitter to get as much use out of that bucker as I could- to be able to go single coil if I wanted, at the flip of a switch. Most HSS strats lack that switch, maybe don't even have a splittable/tappable pickup in 'em.

But If one owns a Les Paul type HB-equipped guitar, IMO the SSS would be a better choice- there are times when nothing but a real single coil pup will do.

But whatever you do, don't get obsessive about it, like a certain guitarist I know- He has a Squier Strat with Texas Specials in it, a USA strat with Tex-Specs, an Epi Les Paul with Gibson Alneco 5 Burstbucker Pros, a Westone Thunder 1A with buckers/ coil tap/ splitter/ active electronics, and a Westone Spectrum SX with HSS/ tap /splitter- and that's ONLY the solid body guitars... (Hint- I've known this crazy cracker my WHOLE life... :D )

thats a really well done review. nice layout visually, cool pics.
seemed you had a familiar response for the alnico vs ceramic.

Thanks CoolCat. :) And I must mention to SteveB above, that the current model Mexican HSS humbucker splits to single coil when combined with the middle pickup, that's how Fender did the wiring. (Don't know about other Fender HSS models) However there is no control there to split the pickup when it's selected by itself.

That's a creative wiring, but IMO a bit counterproductive- SSS strats usually have a reverse-wound center pup, so positions 2 and 4 on the 5-way switch gets you hum-canceling- so it seems to me all you gain is the humbucker tones when playing the bridge pup only. I'd think a better setup would be push-pull pots to tap and split the bucker, but that would be more expensive, something that's avoided like the Black Plague in production models.

A guy in my band has a Mexican Strat he paid $300 for. It's one of the best playing, best sounding Strats I've ever heard.

From what I understand, the parts on MIM Strats and American made ones are identical. The MIM's are cheaper because the labor to assemble them is likewise.

My "go to" bass is a Mex Jazz Bass deluxe. I will say perfect, and I am a bassist. It all depends on the instrument. Some are crap, others will rock your world.

The wood on my stratocaster is from Tennessee. It was assembled in Corona though.
Wood has a large part to do with sustain, tone and frequency, so my question is where the wood comes from.

hell yes...14yrs and counting!!!

the magnets have a large effect on sustain per this article.
What are Alnico Pickups? | Fender News & Tech Talk | Fender Guitar

my google map shows MIM 177miles away , 3hrs, from Corona to Ensenada...does the quality and wood work skills change that much in 3 hrs?
and theres the mexiparts assembled in the uS line and the american parts assembled in Mexico line, the mexico custom shop line that isnt the custom shop line of corona and the relic and heavy relic and roadworn and roadworthy lines and lines of re-issues that are not the same as the re-issues line.

the pots, plugs, plastics and jacks are made in china on both, from what I understand.
the mexico plant can get away with some paints and lacquesr california can no longer do, due to environmental laws and this might be why some are zipped down the road for being sprayed.

the line is getting blurry between the two plants.

I'll check back in on this thread around 2025 to see if this is all cleared up. lol:eek:

Back