acoustic guitars

mugsy

I've been playing guitar for 35 years. I have a '72 Guild CE100e hollow-body electric, a '74 Ovation classical, and a '87 Fender American Strat. I recently bought an Ovation Standard Balladeer, (mail order). It sounds like hell. I gonna give it to my son. I'd like to get a Gibson J-150 or a Gibson J-45. Any suggestions? I'd try them out myself, but my local music stores don't have either.

You found that you didn't like your mail ordered ovation because you have not heard the guitar before buying it. That's always the problem with buying a guitar based on what you hear from friends or read in reviews because you are not them and will never come to the same opinion of a guitar and its sound. You may or may not like Gibson guitars, you may like or hate the J-150 and you may like or hate the J-45 ... nobody knows unless you go down to test it out yourself.

The joy of having money to get a guitar is this ... you get to shop for a guitar. Which means days or perhaps weeks of auditioning all the guitars you can lay your hands on before deciding which to get !

Yeah, there are just a lot of choices of guitars to throw out a name or two. I bought a Gibson acoustic a couple years ago that I hated. It was totally dead. But I have played a few I have liked ok since then. IMO, the best production guitar right now is the Taylor guitars. They can't beat a custom built acoustic, but I think they're better than any other manufactured guitars, at least the 500 series and up.

H2H

get a seagull artist series spruce top rosewood with the pickup and mic preamp system... only around 1200 or so and its awesome

speaking of acoustic guitars, I just love that foot smashing down on peter miller's stomping little robot man.

did you see the way that head came apart?

Ovations are really made to be plugged in. They always sound like crap played acoustically, but plug them in and they sound pretty darned good.

As for buying a guitar for its unplugged sound, you simply have to try and play them. I've played high end Martins that are complete duds, and I've tried lower end Japanese guitars where one can just jump out and poke you in the eye--i.e. it sounds great.

I think most will agree that you have get out there and play a bunch of guitars. Not only are there major differences among models, but also within the same model. For example, I've played a lot Les Pauls (some which were same year standards) and none were even close in feel. Same with strats. Moreso with acoustics. I have a Washburn DM2000 which I love - but I played several in the same shop and had no problem differentiating (and not only with respect to the setup differences).

Try everything. Go home and think about it. Go back a week later and play everything again. The more models you try (and the more you play them), the clearer your decision will be.

Good luck.

I like my Martins. I have a 1957 000-18 and a 1974 D-41, but I think my next one is going to be a Taylor.

Hey, figure it this way: If you're like me, feeling guilty for making the poor salesman sit through whatever noises you're making in his shop, then you finally have the justification to go in there and try out EVERYTHING. Seriously, even different cords and such. I've read threads here (especially on basses) saying you can get the salesman to adjust the guitar to your needs, including restringing, just to hear how it sounds (although I've yet to meet the salesman that would actually do this). And you won't get that nagging "I'm a nag" feeling at the back of your skull, 'cuz you're layin' down cash this time.

Right?

when I sit down and play some sweetly toned exceptional guitar wizardry,The salesmann is always left speechless---------------------------------------NOT:D

Acoustic gtr....

Try out the Taylor line...I fell in love with them as soon as I played one. Their website is awesome too at www.taylorguitars.com I suggest if you have a Mars Music store near you (not to purchase from, of course) but go in and pick one up and beat on it for a while. Then shop around for the best price...I like Martin's as well, but I think Taylor's have a deeper tone...

Olson guitars - James Taylor's pick

If you have the bucks, and some waiting patients,
buy what James Taylor plays - "Olson". I don't think
he will play anything else. He uses a Pendulium pre
and goes straight to the house. Olson's are hand
made at $5500.00 each and the wait is about
18 months. James Olson makes each one with
tendor loving care. He has a web site where you
can see him at his art. - If you want the top
acoustic sound plugged and unplugged, then go
for it. Nobody will argue with an Olson; they
sound so fat, big, and wonderful.

Chuck

Brigadier Advancements Recording

Best "bang for your buck" acoustic has gotta be Seagull guitars.

A great acoustic guitar in the slightly-pricey range would be a Lowden. (killer tone and feel) ;)

As for used acoustics... an old Yamaha FG-140, FG-150, FG-160, or an old FG-335 are all a well-kept secret.
I've played old Yamaha acoustics that go for around $150 to $200 that sound much better than a new $1,200 Martin.

I like the company-that-makes-Seagull's Simon & Patrick line of guitars. Some guitars may sound nice but is not so hot in recording but the Simon & Patrick seems to perform equally well in both arena.

chuck!!
last I heard 'olson' were not taking anymore orders as they can not keep up with demand and did not want to lose the 'hand made' quality which would of happened if they kept up with orders. This was about 10 months ago I heard this on there web site.I have not heard the latest though. Keaggy,sting & P McCartney plays olson acoustic also

Olson

You're right Peter. And last one I saw "used" was over $7k. I have seen them go for $10k. They are exceptional instruments. I actually got to strum on one of Phils during a guitar clinic he was giving for about 15 people. It was like touching the hand of God himself. He he he. No, but it was really awesome.

H2H

Back