Acoustic guitar tuning and re stringing HELP please

breeeeza

Senior MemBREH
Long story short. i bought an acoustic guitar 2 weeks ago, it needed new strings. i bought new strings. i strung it and tuned it (my ears AND a tuner)
But the strings are really really loose even though they are in tune. Is this supposed to be like this. I am used to electic guitars and the strings are MUCH looser on the acoustic than the electric. I did buy acoustic strings btw.
The low E rattles againts the fretboard when you play it normally. its that loose. Please help. :o

stupid question, but I have to ask: is your E tuned an octave lower than it should be?

jfrog said:
stupid question, but I have to ask: is your E tuned an octave lower than it should be?
:D no its not. i have allready checked that possability. It cant be otherwise it would be higher pitched than the 5th string (a)
thanks

10s really are for girls only but all the same you shouldn't have too much trouble with the reduced tension ... unless it's like a 3/4 scale length guitar or something else is wrong ...

breeeeza said:
:D no its not. i have allready checked that possability. It cant be otherwise it would be higher pitched than the 5th string (a)
thanks

I figured it wouldn't be, since you said that you'd tuned w/ your ears as well as a tuner (the tuners will pick up any octave).

I assume that you have all the strings in the correct locations....a light string tuned to a low E would be looser than normal. But being an electric player, I'm sure you've done this many times before......

I dunno - it's a real head scratcher

[scratches head]

jfrog said:
I figured it wouldn't be, since you said that you'd tuned w/ your ears as well as a tuner (the tuners will pick up any octave).

I assume that you have all the strings in the correct locations....a light string tuned to a low E would be looser than normal. But being an electric player, I'm sure you've done this many times before......

I dunno - it's a real head scratcher

[scratches head]
Yer i have been scratching my head so much im going bold :eek:

What is the distance the string raises off the fret board when you pull up on the low E string at about the 12th fret. Is it more than about 1/2 inch?

rpe said:
What is the distance the string raises off the fret board when you pull up on the low E string at about the 12th fret. Is it more than about 1/2 inch?
Yer it is. its about 0.9"

Ah-are you using one of the new tuners that include tuning for a 7 string? Like the Korg GA-30? You may have tuned the E to a low B and continued tuning everything 5 steps flat-you would then have strings as loose as you say---check it out! ;)

Anfontan said:
Ah-are you using one of the new tuners that include tuning for a 7 string? Like the Korg GA-30? You may have tuned the E to a low B and continued tuning everything 5 steps flat-you would then have strings as loose as you say---check it out! ;)
na i havnt, its deffinatly tuned standard as i did it manually instead of automatic. and i used my ears and im not tone death :D
Also the top 2 strings (e and B) are normal (not loose) and these are the strings that are silvered steel and the rest are bronze wound. the bronze wound ones are loose (very) but they are in tune.

hixmix said:
I hate to ask but is it a classical guitar and you put steel strings on it?
Thts what the guy in the shop gave me. 2 of them are steel the rest are bronze wound. as i said i dont have a clue about acoustic guitars all i know is 22 frets instead on 24 like my electric :D

Edit: shit its 18 frets

Just as I thought. It's a classical. You need nylon folk/classical strings for it.

If it's set up right the nylon strings will still feel a bit looser than steel strings on a regular acoustic.

hixmix said:
Just as I thought. Classical. You need nylon folk/classical strings for it.
i was going to say that maybe i fucked up and got the wrong strings and that the first 3 should be nylon but the strings that sound right and are in tune and not really loose are the steel strings! ah well

Back