Acoustic guitar string recommendations

WolfandWeather

Can anyone recommend some acoustic guitar strings that will give me a dark, mellow tone with reduced finger squeak?

I'm recording a fingerstyle piece on a Fender CD140S (see my other thread in the mixing clinic) and it's far too bright and present for the track. I can't change the guitar or the microphone (Rode M3) but if I can get some strings that will provide a much softer, warmer sound, I'm hoping that will improve things a bit.

I'm currently looking at Elixir Bronze Polywebs, D'Addario Flat Tops, and Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steels. Anyone have experience with these? Any others I should look at?

Mate, nearly everyone on here plays electric. It's not that we don't give a fuck, most of us just don't know!

Mate, nearly everyone on here plays electric. It's not that we don't give a fuck, most of us just don't know!

That's not true. Tons of people here play acoustics. They just don't post much because they're busy curling up in a soft blanket while reading poetry and sipping tea by the campfire.

That's not true. Tons of people here play acoustics. They just don't post much because they're busy curling up in a soft blanket while reading poetry and sipping tea by the campfire.
Is that when they've run out of trees to hug?

Can anyone recommend some acoustic guitar strings that will give me a dark, mellow tone with reduced finger squeak?

I'm recording a fingerstyle piece on a Fender CD140S (see my other thread in the mixing clinic) and it's far too bright and present for the track. I can't change the guitar or the microphone (Rode M3) but if I can get some strings that will provide a much softer, warmer sound, I'm hoping that will improve things a bit.

I'm currently looking at Elixir Bronze Polywebs, D'Addario Flat Tops, and Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steels. Anyone have experience with these? Any others I should look at?

First off, many people including me don't mind a bit of finger noise in a recording. Without it to me it can sound a bit sterile. Second, you can do an awful lot to reduce it with good precise techniques and mic placement rather than look to blame strings. What mic setup and where? Any pre or post recording treatment?

Finally, polywebs or elexirs are probably the worst way to go. To me they already sound brash and bright and the coating they use accentuates the high end. All strings will give you some finger noise but half would or flat would will reduce it. You will lose some clarity and definition on an acoustic though. Silk and steel are really for a specific type and style of guitar but can be used on a standard acoustic. The results will be much down to your taste but dont expect them to reduce finger noise.

First technique, second, mic placement and recording parameters, third strings...

Maybe you should give your strings a week or two to lose their brightness...
Also if you have older strings, try to record your guitar before replacing the strings

Maybe you should give your strings a week or two to lose their brightness...
Also if you have older strings, try to record your guitar before replacing the strings

lol....

Guys we have a bright one here....:facepalm:

Maybe you should let your posts rest for a week or two to lose some of the dumb...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not actually too bothered about squeakiness either but someone mentioned in the other thread that it was quite distracting so if I can reduce it, it might be a good thing. And I'm not fussed about losing clarity and definition because I want to guitar to sink down into the mix instead of cutting through and standing out

Have you tried heaver strings? Many put on lighter strings because they are not use to playing acoustic. A medium string might give you that deeper sound on the 3,4,5 string. 6th string seems to rumble a lot when recording so you may have to keep it muted when not using it.

I use the same strings on my acoustics as on my electrics for a number of reasons. Not least being that bronze strings are ugly! ;) I'm not saying that nickel/steel will help this problem. Heck, it could make it worse, but maybe worth a try.

I haven't listened to this track, but the real problem is almost definitely the performance. You have string squeaks because your left hand is lazy, and the attack is too sharp because your right hand is probably in the wrong place and also probably just hitting the strings wrong for the sound you want out of them. The best suggestion I think would be to get the brightest strings in the world and then practice like crazy until you can get a decent recording out of them. It's like running with ankle weights. Switch back to your standard strings after a month or two and everything will be much easier.

I typically use 12 or 13's on my acoustic so that's not the problem. It could well be a performance issue but as I've been re-recording and remixing this track for months now, I really need to just make the best of it and move on as quickly as possible so I don't have the time to just sit and practice it until it's perfect. And actually, good tone is more important to me that a perfect performance. I don't mind the odd bum note or string squeak as long it sounds right tonally and fits into the mix like it should.

I think the worst option is those god awful flat wound strings I tried a few years ago. Lifeless zero tone waste of money...but hey, no finger noise!
Lol

As mutt says... technique helps.

Soaking your fingers in warm water every now and then helps as well.

I've also edited squeaks successfully in the DAW if I'm otherwise happy with a performance, or comped together another run at a section that was problematic. Depends upon the natural gaps in the tune though, obviously.

And an acoustic guitar player will break an electric guitar player's hand in a death grip hand shaking contest.:D

And probably get arthritis earlier.:(

Back