Acoustic guitar pickup suggestion?

santiu

Rock-scientist
hey all, i'm looking for a suggestion for an acoustic guitar pickup for a steel string guitar. Not looking for something to faithfully reproduce an acoustic guitar sound (I've got mics for that), but rather something to try to get a unique sort of warm more electric sound with a nice strong midrange from my acoustic (if that makes any sense).

Hoping to find something non-permanent that I can just throw in the sound hole and remove when not needed. Also hoping to find something around $100 or less if that's possible.

thanks for any suggestions :D

santiu said:
hey all, i'm looking for a suggestion for an acoustic guitar pickup for a steel string guitar. Not looking for something to faithfully reproduce an acoustic guitar sound (I've got mics for that), but rather something to try to get a unique sort of warm more electric sound with a nice strong midrange from my acoustic (if that makes any sense).

Hoping to find something non-permanent that I can just throw in the sound hole and remove when not needed. Also hoping to find something around $100 or less if that's possible.

George L makes a nice one. Seems exactly what you're after. They're always pretty cheap on ebay too. I picked up one randomly, I like it and plus you don't have to drill any holes!

santiu said:
hey all, i'm looking for a suggestion for an acoustic guitar pickup for a steel string guitar. Not looking for something to faithfully reproduce an acoustic guitar sound (I've got mics for that),

A search here for "Acoustic Pickup" gives This and This. To get a specific
but rather something to try to get a unique sort of warm more electric sound with a nice strong midrange from my acoustic (if that makes any sense).
the only way your going to find that is trial and error. Some acoustic pickups are better than others. I'd tinker with the amp or PA to get the tone your after rather than try and find it in the pickup. Get the best pickup you can afford and you'll have far more options.

I haven't tried a whole bunch of different kinds, but my daughter got me one of these:

http://www.agi-lace.com/acoustic_pickups/california_acoustic/california_specs.php

for my birthday, and I like it -- the music store had installed a volume knob in the wire, which I think introduced some noise. I've take it back out, but probably need to resolder it. I've tried it in a 1972 Martin D28 and a counterfeit "gibson" j50 of recent vintage, and it sounds good in both of them.

I just hang the wire out of the soundhole, which probably wouldn't work in a live performance situation, but I believe the input jack can be mounted at the base of the body of the guitar (replacing the strap button), without modifying the guitar in most cases.

go magnetic then:
sunrise
rare earth
or classic dearmond (ebay)

they will do exactly what you described

Are magnetic pickups for acoustic guitars any different than those for electric guitars?

Is it possible to just get an electric guitar pickup, build a mount for it, and wire it up? Any reason why i shouldn't consider this?

santiu said:
Are magnetic pickups for acoustic guitars any different than those for electric guitars?

Is it possible to just get an electric guitar pickup, build a mount for it, and wire it up? Any reason why i shouldn't consider this?
Most magnetic pickups built for acoustics are balanced for phosphor bronze or other similar strings. You could use an electric pickup but the string to string balnce and tone would not be ideal and you would also potentially suffer from high feedback.

Back