Acoustic guitar (non electric)

MrSounds

Attention: The below message has been posted by a beginner in home recording. Your advice is encouraged with friendly patients

I could not find a search menu here? So I will start a new thread and ask this question.. When recording a non electric acoustic guitar, should I be pluging the mic into the mixer and the mixer to the amp (to get the sound to the amp from the guitar)?

And If so, then what mic should I record from? The mic running into the mixer from the guitar or should I have another mic placed in front of the amp running from the mixer to record from?

I'm not able to plug a XLR into the amp of course, so that idea is out (mic to amp).

Or should I run the mic from the guitar into the mixer and from the mixer to the monitors themselves? And just record off the mic in front of the guitar that way?

So these may sound really silly, but I'm just starting out here, everyone was new at some point right lol

So how do you record on a non-electric acoustic guitar?

Also I'm getting a hiss which I'm having a major problem with?? Suggestions

Any help will be much appreciated

You should record the acoustic with a condenser mic, or whatever mic (usually they say a small or large diaphragm condenser mic and not go through an amp...unless you want that amp sound...then from the mic just into your preamp/ sound card/ mixer combo.

But it's not gonna sound all that great if you amp it up with a mic...to my ears anyway.

If I am recording an acoustic guitar, I will use a mike and go straight from there into the recording medium.

I would not go through an amp or mixer (unless the mixer is also your interface).

Attention: The below message has been posted by a beginner in home recording. Your advice is encouraged with friendly patients

I could not find a search menu here? So I will start a new thread and ask this question.. When recording a non electric acoustic guitar, should I be pluging the mic into the mixer and the mixer to the amp (to get the sound to the amp from the guitar)?

And If so, then what mic should I record from? The mic running into the mixer from the guitar or should I have another mic placed in front of the amp running from the mixer to record from?

I'm not able to plug a XLR into the amp of course, so that idea is out (mic to amp).

Or should I run the mic from the guitar into the mixer and from the mixer to the monitors themselves? And just record off the mic in front of the guitar that way?

So these may sound really silly, but I'm just starting out here, everyone was new at some point right lol

So how do you record on a non-electric acoustic guitar?

Also I'm getting a hiss which I'm having a major problem with?? Suggestions

Any help will be much appreciated
I won't comment on recording methods for acoustic guitars as I am no expert.

Just so you can familiarise yourself with the site layout, the search function is located on the top menu bar third item from the left.

I'm positive a little browsing and reading here will answer many if not all your immediate questions. Good luck with it.

I have an acoustic electric but when it comes to recording, I never plug in the guitar. Like the other posts said, your best bet is to run a condensor mic directly into your mixer, then your mixer outs into your soundcard - depends on your set up and your budget. Doing this will give the most natural or "common" acoustic sound that you hear on most records.

Even if you do not have a condersor, I think you would do well to just mic your guitar with any mic you have available as opposed to micing the amp.

Like pretty much everyone else has said, condensers can do wonders, especially when paired with a decent preamp. However, in a pinch, even a good dynamic mic like an SM57 will sound better than the line in...Typically I only use the pickup while playing live..

I agree with the previous posts, but I wanted to add:

Plan on spending some time looking for the best place to put the mic. Pointing it at the neck/body joint is a good place to start, as is behind and below the sound hole. If the room is small you may get good results putting the mic over your shoulder believe it or not. If you don't have a great mic use whatever you have and do the best you can with it. Don't let lack of gear keep you from moving forward. Alot of great music has been recorded on cheap gear.

I would encourage you to go to the microphone forum and begin reading. There is a sticky thread there that is as good a resource as you will find anywhere.

Back