Acoustic/Electric Guitar

dayslikefriday

I really want to get a nice, but affordable acoustic/electric guitar. I originally was thinking of buying a Taylor 712CE, but those are quite-a-some of money for a 15 year old (ie. me). So, now, I'm kind of lost on what I should/could get... I still want a Taylor, so are there any older Taylor models that are possibly lower in price? Used/new? If not, that's ok. I just want to see some other options for an acoustic/electric guitar. Thanks!

Price range: $0 - 1,500.

P.S. Websites are greatly appreciated!

hey, shop around......don't get stuck on Taylors....you might find a Martin/Larivee/something else you like.......that said, I LOVE Taylors and I bought a Taylor 414mace (maple like the 600's 'cause it was a special edition) for 1300....thought that was pretty good considering the 600's break 2000 or close to it. It sounds as good as any guitar I've ever played (except an 814 I played one time). Also, I think there is a big difference between the 300's and the 400's and you could easily talk GC down way below your price range. Anyhow, every acoustic guitar sounds different, you really need to visit some stores and play a bunch to see what you like. Almost as important as the sound is the neck....if it feels solid, good action....hope that helps...SHOP AROUND AND PLAY ALOT!

ps- I say don't buy an acoustic online.....to much can be wrong (intonation is hard to fix on an acoustic if not impossible)

lets use ebay as an exampe of price, since it is a auction prices are usually about what people will pay for items.. here are 3 buy it now items. one is very good price at 450 and other is more but still in your price range.

the only problem with ebay, and other internet sites for buying a guitar, is you cant play it first, or even see it... but for setting a price it is ok... or many players have dove in... and came up smiling..

Taylor Acoustic/Electric 110E Guitar W/bag $450.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336884440&category=47064&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Taylor Electric Acoustic Guitar $950.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336282448&category=47064&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Taylor NS32-CE Nylon String Acoustic Electric Guitar $999.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7335627957&category=33031&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

so I guess the answer is yes you can get one, but I would guess that your getting what you pay for there is a reason the one is 450 and the others are more...

oh here is one to drool at... BRAND NEW MODEL, slightly used...!!

TAYLOR T5 ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC GUITAR
NEW MODEL RELEASED 6/30/2005!! & FREE SHIPPING!! US $3,200.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7335647266&category=47064&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

while were on the subject of drooling heheh check out this guitar..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7336291683&category=2384&rd=1

hey dont forget to check out www.guitars101.com
FW

I have a Takamine EG523SC and have loved it, I've had it about a year, easy to play and sounds great, I also have a seagul which isn't electric but its very easy to play as well, both of my suggestions are well below $1,500, but orth checking out atleast

Look first for an acoustic guitar you like, then think about electronics. You will be much happier in the long run.

Also, I would highly advise you to give the Taylor ES system second, third, and even tenth thoughts. It is extremly unreliable, and though they are very good about warranty coverage (I have to love a company who pays me my full shop rate for repairs, and gives me replacement parts by the box load), that doesn't help much when you are in the middle of an important gig and your guitar stops making sound, or worse, starts humming like a Harley without a muffler. The repairs are usually pretty easy, as the system is very modular, but they do need to be done by a approved technician, and they usually take a few days. I know several guys who are seriously thinking of replacing the ES systems from their guitars just for the repair issues, and getting a Fishman system instead.

Just something to keep in mind.

Add to that the fact that no one I know with a good ear for acoustic guitar even kind of likes the ES system, and it is a real loser from my point of view. I do have to grant it this, however; It mixes with a band really well. It just sits in the mix, and has it's own space, basically without EQ. If that is what you need, and you don't mind the repair issues, then go with it.

Oh, and read the user's manual, it has some important things for you to know.

And if you ever break a string, make damn sure you get the ball ends out of the guitar, or they will stick to the "body" pickup elements, and cause a really bad buzz.

A few threads with some of my thoughts on pickups:

DTAR, Matrix, and the Rare Earth

Know of a good soundhole pickup for acoustic guitar?

The absolute best acoustic pickup???

But the first step, absolutely, is to find a guitar you like. Try everything you can. Try guitars which are outragously out of your budget. Try guitar any guitar you can get your hands on. Spend a month or two's worth of Saturdays in guitar shops playing guitars. Once you have had some education about what is out there, THEN you are ready to start thinking about buying one. Not until then. And once you have decided on the guitar, THEN you start thinking about pickups. Take my advice, you will be much happier with your guitar, in the long run.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Acoustic/Electric

Frenchc said:
I have a Takamine EG523SC and have loved it, I've had it about a year, easy to play and sounds great, I also have a seagul which isn't electric but its very easy to play as well, both of my suggestions are well below $1,500, but orth checking out atleast

I agree with Frenchc. Takamine has always been one of my favorite guitars. It has a great sound at a good price. Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is one awesome guitar and about plays itself. The only problem is that I would be a little hesitant about taking A Taylor outside for periods of time in humid conditions. A sales associate once told me that they are very sensitive to this kind of environment and that some people even keep a de-humidifier in the room where they store their guitars. Don't know how much truth is in that but it makes since due to the construction material.

leaversday said:
I agree with Frenchc. Takamine has always been one of my favorite guitars. It has a great sound at a good price. Don't get me wrong, the Taylor is one awesome guitar and about plays itself. The only problem is that I would be a little hesitant about taking A Taylor outside for periods of time in humid conditions. A sales associate once told me that they are very sensitive to this kind of environment and that some people even keep a de-humidifier in the room where they store their guitars. Don't know how much truth is in that but it makes since due to the construction material.

Taylors are no more sensitive to humidity issues than any other guitar which is built to sound good.

And as I have said before, there is just about NEVER a reason to use a dehumidifier. Humidifiers, yes - if your heat is on, you need to humidify any good guitar, but unless you live in a swamp, you do not need to dehumidify. Ever.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
I know several guys who are seriously thinking of replacing the ES systems from their guitars just for the repair issues, and getting a Fishman system instead.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
Don't want to totally hijack this thread, but I do have a quick question. I've been thinking about doing this exact same thing on my Taylor 614ce and going over to the L.R. Baggs iMix system. HOWEVER, it seems that the ES is so integrated into the guitar design that I'm not sure how it would be replaced. The ES knobs put holes in the body, and then there's that massive endpin unit with the battery compartment. Any ideas?

hixmix said:
What would you say their tone and playability is comparable to?

BUSTED! :mad:

I don't know; I've never played one. But I've heard they're pretty good! :D

There have been some nice reviews by mags and owners.

Light said:
Taylors are no more sensitive to humidity issues than any other guitar which is built to sound good.

And as I have said before, there is just about NEVER a reason to use a dehumidifier. Humidifiers, yes - if your heat is on, you need to humidify any good guitar, but unless you live in a swamp, you do not need to dehumidify. Ever.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

My friends recording studio is in the basement and it tends to get fairly damp down there. This is the case for some older basements so the de-humidifier works pretty well for guitars and all equipment. My point was that I would feel more comfortable with a lesser expensive guitar out in rainy damp or hot conditions.

You can actually buy mini humidifiers for your guitar case so they both do have thier place in and out of the swamp.

Last edited:
apl said:
BUSTED! :mad:

I don't know; I've never played one. But I've heard they're pretty good! :D

There have been some nice reviews by mags and owners.

I've never played one either, but I'd be willing to bet they're some of the best bang-for-your-buck acoustic/electrics out there - just my experience with anything "carvin". It kind of sucks that it's hard to play one before you buy, though.

Personally, I'd look for something by Larivee (or however you spell it). You can get a sweet, sweet playing and sounding guitar for around 1000 or a little more. The only thing I've ever played that touched it was a taylor 800 series guitar - which runs over $3000.

I've got a higher end takamine (FD-360sc) - I think its been replaced by this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/516447/ and http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=135&sid=66#. I bought it in 2001 or so. They don't make mine anymore, but any tak that I've played in that price range (~1000 to 1200) has been awesome, plus they sound GREAT plugged in. I almost bought one of the natural series guitars by them - TAN-10c or something like that, which would be good if you're looking for more of a mellow tone with a satin finish. A lot of the higher end takamine's feature a tuner on the electronics, which is extremely handy. They make guitars to be plugged in, so if you are going to play live a lot straight into a PA, they should be on the top of your list as well.

Back