1st string not as loud on my electric guitars

jeff0633

I am so tired of this problem. I use 09's, abnd when I play live, my frickin first string is can hardly be heard when playing a lead. This has been a problem for twenty fucking years. I have raised the pickups on that lower edge, I have backed them off, I have lowered the saddle. Finally, I have had to resort to a compressor, and sometimes that struggles to get it up. This happens on both my electrics. Is the string simply too small to get a good magnetic signal? This is a problem with my normal pickups, or with my Lace sensors.

Jeff

Raise the pick up on the treble side and lower on the bass side. To much gain can cause the higher strings to get drowned out.

Don't know if you're use single coils or humbuckers, but I found that the stock single coils that came on my Strat had very uneven response. Especially the G string was way louder than the rest, thereby making the others (especially B and high E) sound weak. I resorted to adjusting my playing and pick attack to compensate for their shortcomings. Very annoying!

I've since replaced them with Kinman Blues pickups and, presto, all my volume problems went away. All strings now have a very even response. I noticed that all three of the pickups now line up perfectly with the strings, there where as the Fender ones didn't...

An added bonus with the Kinman pickups is that they are COMPETELY noise-free yet at the same time have superior tone. No more hum in positions 1, 3 and 5 is a very good thing!

What guitars do you play?

I find that when I used 9's, the high E falls off after about 15 minutes of playing. I went to 10's and the problem went away. Raising the pickup will help, changing the type of strings may help, but it will still fall off quick as long as you use 9's.

Back