Patchbays

andycerrone

Banned
Does it really make a difference which company you buy from? Like, what's the difference, considering how little wiring is involved..

Hmmmmmm...

I have owned Switchcraft, Furman, Neutrik, and dbx patchpays. NEVER had a single problem with either the Switchcraft or the Furman. Only had a couple of minor problems with the Neutrik. The dbx patchbays on the other hand had VERY serious problems with the normalled connections not staying connected with no patch cables inserted on the front. This contributed to many kinds of problems with stereo sources hooked up to the patch bay. You don't know if your hardware is bad, the cables, or the patchbay module.

So, yes, there IS a difference in patchbays. You want high quality patchbays.

Ford Van said:
Hmmmmmm...

I have owned Switchcraft, Furman, Neutrik, and dbx patchpays. NEVER had a single problem with either the Switchcraft or the Furman. Only had a couple of minor problems with the Neutrik. The dbx patchbays on the other hand had VERY serious problems with the normalled connections not staying connected with no patch cables inserted on the front. This contributed to many kinds of problems with stereo sources hooked up to the patch bay. You don't know if your hardware is bad, the cables, or the patchbay module.

So, yes, there IS a difference in patchbays. You want high quality patchbays.

Ok then. Thanks bud.

If you are going to run stereo sources via the patch bay at all, and these sources are critical to imaging, you will need to run calibration tests to make sure the patchbay is passing signal well. I have seen the dbx bays drop calibrated signals by as much as 2dB! :(

I have had a couple of patchbays over the years. Personally, I have never had any issues with any of my DBX patchbays. The only thing I noticed is that it can be a pain to swap the cards in the patchbay. They swap easily, but it can be a bit of a pain to get them to stay in place. My furmans however were pretty noisy, but the Switchcrafts (excellent patchbays) and Neutriks (good solid affordable patchbays) have always done pretty well. By far though my favorites have always been the high end Switchcrafts (they cost a lot though) and the ADC patchbays. In myopinion the ADC's are pretty much cream of the crop.

Back