Akg 240s vs akg 240m

lykwydchykyn

After seven years of service and about a dozen re-solderings, my trusty AKG headphones have died. :(

Since I dig the sound of them, I wanted to replace them with either the AKG 240s's or the AKG 240m's, but I can't figure out what the difference is between them. Somewhere I read the k240s model was impedence matched to prosumer gear, but is there any other difference? Anyone know?

Would anyone suggest a similar product for around the same price or less? I love the detachable cable thing, I was always re soldering the cable on these old ones.

AKG K240S v. K240M

First of all, I would recommend you go to the AKG web site and look through their discussion forum. There are a lot of opinions there. It takes some time to scroll through it all, but it's well worth it.

Personally, I own both and I use both. To me, the K240S is a little more useful for mixing, because it's a little fuller in sound. The highs are a tad better and the bass is a bit more extended, without being too boomy a-la Sony 7506. I hate those Sony's. Also, the K240S's impedence makes it more useful for outputs such as those found on components: MD recorders, CD recorders, etc. The K240M is also quite accurate, albeit a little recessed in the upper mid's. It's slightly coloured but in a pleasant way. For that reason, they are, bar none, the least fatiguing and therefore the best headphones for tracking, so long as you use a headphone amp or the headphone output of a mixer.

Hope this helps!

Michael Yoder
http://www.ambientjazzduo.8m.net

I just purchased a pair of AKG K240s cans after deciding that it was time to retire my Fostex T20's. I had the T20's for 13 years when I noticed a little crackle sound in the bass frequencies. Figured they must be getting old. Hope the AKGs last 1/2 as long.

Did my homework on these too. I recall using a pair of AKG's about 30-35 years ago in a studio in Wallingford , CT but could never afford :mad: any until this week. Love :p the mini XLR and gold connection. Very clean, detailed signal. I chose the K240s (studio) type for their versatility. I'm listening to several playback units at any given time as well as monitoring, tracking and mixing through them on and off as well.

My mixes are once again enjoying a very balanced, wide and dynamic end master and I contribute this in part, to the new AKG cans.

Hope this didn't get to you too late and was of some help. Good luck.

Peter :)

Back