Zoom HD8 Users, or Former Users?

Rich_S

A friend of mine recent gave me a lightly-used Zoom HD8 hard disk recorder/mixer. Looking at completed eBay auctions, I believe I paid the correct amount for it, though it's still a serviceable piece of gear four years after being discontinued. Anyway, its arrival has prompted me to finally start putting together a small home recording setup for my teenage son & me.

This will be my first foray into home recording since a Tascam 246 cassette machine I used back in 1986. I realize the all-in-one format has some limitations vs. a computer+interface+DAW setup, but it's what we have for now and it will get us started.

I would welcome all insights, tips, hints, opinions, and other comments from anyone experienced with the HD8 or its big brither thre HD16, or with all-in-one digital multitrackers in general.

For the time being, we'll be monitoring on a pair of Infinity Primus 160 that are sitting unused, with a nice old Pioneer receiver for power. My planned "next step" in a LD condenser mic to augment the ubiquitous SM57 and 58 I already have (left over from my live gigging days). Beyond that, what should I expect as my path forward?

Back