Yamaha MG10/2

88fingers

Is this a pretty good mixer? I've been offered a pretty good deal on it ($80) and wouldn't mind having a second mixer for the preamps.

Yamaha makes quality gear so I would'nt be afraid to get one. But it is very simple, basic and limited. The pre's are not top of the line but may be good enough for your purpose.

I use one for a talkback mixer.... a bit on the noisy side (but quieter than the equivalent Behringer mixer) - the pre's are usable if you don't push 'em.........

$80 plus shipping isnt a pretty good deal.....

they go for $99 most places......you can probably get GC to work a $99 out the door deal.......

I've got the MG12/4 and I'm happy with it.

I needed 4 outs, which I could have got with the inserts on the 10/2, but the smooth talking sales guy convinced me the 12/4 would better suit my needs longer term. It's about twice the price though

Yeah, I've been thinking about one of these Yammie mixers too. On the other hand I could also get a Mackie 1202 w/VLZ pres for about $150 on ebay. Decisions, decisions....

I have been using the MG 16/4 mixer for a month now. I have done my best to distinguish between tracks recorded through the Yamaha and through a Mackie VLZ Pro 1202 that I rented 4 months ago for a week. There are subtle differences, but neither one sounds any "better" than the other (ie. the tracks are not identical, but neither one is superior to the other). I have a Behringer 602A that I have lived off for the two years prior to buying the Yamaha, and the difference in the tracks recorded through the Yamaha or Mackie are much nicer than the Berhinger MX tracks.
I still intend to buy some quality stand-alone pres in the next year, but for the time being, this Yamaha mixer is great, and I have no qualms about keeping it in the mix for a good length of time (recording to DAW).

Back