Yamaha MD8 repair will be expensive - repair or replace?

stodge

So repairs for my MD8 are estimated to be anywhere from CAN$150 to CAN$450. I guess that's almost the price for a new smaller multitrack recorder. I'm stuck as to what to do. Despite the fact I can't really afford to fix it or buy a new one, I may choose to do either in a short while. Any suggestions what to do? I've been reading reviews of the MR8 and one other unit, so if I were to buy a new unit, any recommendations?

Oh and apparently "The top head (TOC) lever is 'physically distorted' (bent)"

If it were me I'd buy a new one. Also, don't bother with the mini disc format anymore, get something that will do 16/24 bit and at least 44.1/48k.

If I were to replace it I wouldn't pick MD, I'd go hard disk. Though what are the ones like that use the memory cards?
Thanks

i had a friend buy that red Tascam, the memory stock is nothing of much use and he wasn't impressed. you'll need to do some reading on that memory card thing.

IMO, try to get into one with a CD-R, most allow the "raw"tracks to be downloaded too if your a keeper of everything you record and of course you can burn one and check it out in the car.

MD8...If you can bend the loader mechanism back into working order you'll be able to sell it easier too with funds going to the new one. but just the mixer with the digital patching and phantom etc...you ought to get some decent $$$cha-ching...

Another option would be to buy something to hook my guitar and keyboard up to my PC (new sound card as well). I already have FruityLoops, but I'm not sure how well that would work. My PC is an AMD64 1Gb...

if no money...hook your guitar and keyboard and mics to the Yammie board into a soundcard?
a 1/8inch & RCA cable between the MD8/mixer to your soundcard would work.
thats a 101 starter setup.

Kristal Audio Engine (multi-track recorder) is free. Very sparse and basic...32 tracks stereo and 16 mono...check it out.
http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

I set this up on an old, old pc, 700Mhz, 40gig HD, 320Mram and its just been great for a songwriter, one or two tune here and there, HR.
Been doing some editing and stuff on my brothers two track songs too which is fun, adding some pieces to his Vox&Acoustic 2 track CD he sent, and then setting up a final limiter volume level too. I later bought a dock type setup,(emu 1820). Its very HR, but I don't blame the units on that!
As they say in the pc biz...Garbage IN/Garbage Out! doh!! :D

I don't have a clue if your doing real engineering and recording live bands and/or storing massive tracks etc... thats where the dewds start going crazy with all the big HD's and massive memory I'd guess...

just one option for the small $$ setup.

Well Ive got the MD8 now!

Bought it off Ebay its taken a long time to get around to use it now I find its not recording and here I am wasting my time writing about it, but I cant stop wanting to fix it I am just one of those guys that have to bloody fix things that go wrong . Now it just wont record it goes through all the motions but no sound on playback, and the display time jumps 60 frames every 15 seconds, I would like to try and change out the disc drive but that might not be the problem, and then I have wasted more time. Theres a technician in town Ill take it to him for a quote if its too dear will somebody buy it from me? or I will use it as a desk!

Why would you want to waste more time and money on that thing? Toss it and get something that works. Something that records at 24bit and 44.1/48k or higher would be ideal.

Thanks SonicAlbert your right it was a buy impulse that went wrong, Also using a Boss BR-532 which is portable etc.
I am just starting out, and going through this learning curve buying equipment and having practical experience and reading books & the internet.
Thanks

Back