Yamaha AW2816 problem

Go-Fish

Hi all, It's Bob from Australia, anybody ever experienced trying to use the distorsion effect on the dedicated guitar input channel? I just get this massive gain that I cannot reduce, I cannot get anything resembling music when I try this.

P.S. I know what a dist. gtr. is supposed to sound like! ha ha!

Bob

Yo Bob of KangarOO land:

How's Steve Irwin doing with his crocs down there? :D

I use the 2816 and my unit has no guitar input. Are you talking about the Hi-Z plug on channel 8?

All I can think of is that you are using the wrong cable or a faulty cable.

Or, you do not have enough input? Or, you are not getting the channel in a record mode?

You might try running your guitar into a mic pre and then out to the recorder?

I don't believe the 2816 has a distortion plug built into the unit.

I run my drum machine into a mic pre and then to the unit--more ooppphh-sound.

I also,usually, run my synth into a mic pre and then into the recorder. The mic line inputs ON the 2816 are not very good--oh, they get the sound loud but not very mellow.

Last thing, and most horrible, is--check the manual and see whazzzzzup.

Cheers and don't step on any of those biting critters you have down your way.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

Hi Green hornet! Thanks for the reply. Crikey! Who's Steve irwin? Nah ,only joking!
Croc's are out of fashion at the moment, we're back onto the sharks mate!
Tanks for the info, yeah I was referring to the hi-Z input. The distorsion effect I am talking about, is part of the onboard effects in the 2816. To be honest with you Green, I don't think my ear is refined enough yet to hear the difference 'between' mic pre's.
I don't have any trouble recording a pre distorted guitar, I just wanted to hear what the Yamaha engineer's idea of distortion was, and I was in the process of trying to get familiar with what seems like an 'aircraft cockpit' learning curve. Do you or anyone here ever have the trouble of getting your head around performing, and then having to double as 'trouble shooting engineer'? Moments of 'technical difficulties', really put a downer on me, trying to perform relaxed. Have you ever had any thoughts like that? Bob

:D Yo Bob:

I spent about 15 years figuring out Yamaha's flagship--the DX7. But, Yamaha was very generous sending tapes and how-to info after I bought the unit. So, I have a bit of understanding for the madness of the engineers who write manuals.

The Motif ES can do more things than three lifetimes of learning. The sounds are just great--a big improvement over the DX7--but it SHOULD be an improvement after 15 years.

I just use my unit in my studio. Last good session for recording I had was with a real keyboard genius and friend. He used my Korg stage piano to back up a gal singer friend of mine and then went to the Motif to add strings and bass--just absolutely great stuff. I learn everytime he comes to my studio.

So, all I can say is keep asking, check forums for more information, and keep having fun.

BTW: Seeing sharks on television is kind of tame. I got to see some from the rail of my brother's ship, a guided missile frigate, on a FREE ride off the New Jersey coast: real sharks in the water close-by scared the hell out of me. :eek:

Cheers and don't drink too much Foster's.

Green Hornet

Go-Fish said:
Hi all, It's Bob from Australia, anybody ever experienced trying to use the distorsion effect on the dedicated guitar input channel?
Hey Bob. I've got a 2816, too, and it looks to me like the Hornet has covered pretty much anything that's likely to be giving you the problem you described. From that list, I'd say your problem is most likely to be a bad cable or a defect in the effect itself. I've plugged my guitar into the Hi-Z jack on several occasions to test out the on-board effects and I haven't found anything terribly objectionable about the distortion.

Whatever you do, though, do NOT read the manual. It won't help, and it will drive you mad and leave you blind. (I'm only half joking about that.)

Thanks Green Hornet and HapiCmpr for the replies, it's good to know some other guys with the same gear. My biggest problem, is the mixing area, with busses, and pre &post anything, a virtual mystery to me. In my musical career, i've had little experience with mixing consoles, now I feel thrown into the deep end with this machine. Still, I wanted something that wouldn't be outdated in six months, and I knew moving faders were going to be essential, if I wanted a 'pro' result. Bob

Back