yamaha AW16 G/korg D1200

calypso

I am trying to decide between these two. I would like to get the yamaha since it can record 8 tracks simultaneously where the korg only records four. But the korg can record at 24 bit. The yamaha records at 16 bit but has 24 bit A/D converters. Is this two different ways of saying they are both 24 bit recorders? If not and the yamaha is actually only 16bit and the korg 24 bit why did a technition I contacted who recorded with both say the yamaha sounded better? How can 16 bit sound better than 24 bit?

Yo Calypso:

You can record in 24 bit but you can't burn a CD in 24 bit. You have to get to 16 bit one way or another.

I'm not very familiar with the Korg unit; however, there is much chat about the AW`16 and the Korg -- use the search button.

The Yamaha has good sound. I use the Yam 2816. I can record in 24 bit but cannot burn a CD in 24 bit -- the industry standard is 16 bit. So, stuff I want to burn to CD I record in 16 bit.

I can do 24 bit and run the tracks out the of the stereo outs and record to cassette tape or DAT. I've done lots of tape that way and the few bits more do not seem to make much difference to me. But, to many others it makes a difference I'm sure.

The technician you spoke to gave you his opinion. I would guess that if someone played 24 bit sound and 16 sound back and you were listening that you would not really be able to hear any difference.

But, poke around and see what else you can find in the search mode.

Green Hornet

:D :cool: :p

Green hornet
Thanks for the information. You are saying the 16G edits my sound internally in 24 bit and then records in 16bit onto a cd. O.K. I got that. Are you also saying that I can run the 24 bit tracks that are on the 16 G hard drive out of the stereo outs and onto a DAT? (Yes...you need to speak very slowly to me.)

Yo CalYpsO:

I use the Yam 2816 and it is very similar to the AW16. I'm sure there are two RCA stereo outs on the back of the AW16. These outs are used for listening to your tracks on your monitors as you set up and mix. These same outs can send the signal to a cassette deck or a DAT. [Unless you are using powered monitors; then your stereo signal will go out of the 1/4 inch plugs that I think are also on the AW16.] Same difference; different plugs.

So, it doesn't matter whether you are in 24 bit or 16 bit just to do tape or DAT.

But, with the internal CD drive on the AW16, it won't let you burn anything you record in 24 bit, {I'm not sure the AW records in 24 bit but I think so.} You can easily check on Dinsdale's site for the AW16.

The bottom line is that the present gear of today has a 16 bit standard for CD or CDRW. You will love the sound at 16 bit on either Yam box.

Check the subject via search on this site and you will get lots of info.

Hope this helps you out and I tried to speak SLOWLY.

Green Hornet :D :D :cool:

Calypso, you can find comparison reviews of the Korg D1200 and Yamaha 16G in recent issues of Sound-On-Sound (sound-on-sound.com) and Guitarist (guitarist.com). I don't know about Guitarist mag's opinion, but the SOS review in this month's mag gives the edge to the 16G. The review wrote that, as a guitarist,
he didn't need the 24-bit capability (little difference for noiser recordings, as Green Hornet suggested), and he prefered to have
16 tracks, 8 at a time, and other features like the built-in sampler.

But then again, he felt that both units are excellent, overall, and that each buyer needs to buy according to what's most important to him/her. These units do have differences, pros and cons, in several key areas.

Good luck!

J.

I would go with the 16-bit, 8 track simultaneous option. One day, you'll want to record five or six tracks at once. Trust me...I speak from experience!

BobOC

Calypso, one other suggestion: try visiting the Yammie 16G user-run site: www.aw16g.com. This site is one of the best I've seen, offering support of all types for users of the 16G. Sometimes such available support and advice can be an important factor for choosing any such product, which which you will certainly struggle at times as you learn it. I'm not sure what's available for
the Korg (anyone else out there know?), but the Yammie site's a winner in my book--and all put together by helpful 16G fanatics.

Best,
J.

Calypso,

I hope to get an AW16G some day too.

To clarify something though from my research unlike the 2816 the AW16G stores in 16 bit on the internal HD but with the 24 bit converters you can store at 24 bit on a PC system and use the 16G as your recording interface if at some point in the future you feel like you need to record and store at 24 bits.

With the debate about a new SACD vs DVD audio next generation of home audio storage; 24 bit may become the new standard at some point.

By getting the 16 AWG you still have the option to record and store at 24 bits just not on the internal HD.

Also of interest is the onboard equalization is processed at 32 bit.
From all my research the consensus seems to be that even though it all ends up in 16 bit for CD and DAT there are sonic benifits for keeping the digital processing and storage at 24 bits and above when affordable before dropping down to 16 bits for you recording/playback media such as CD and DAT.

Yo Scooter:

Thanks for the clarification point you made between the 2816 and the AW16.

If I get it right, my 2816 can store 24 bit stuff on its HD; however, the AW16 cannot store 24 bit stuff.

Where I'm fuzzy is: Can the AW16 record at 24 bit? If it can't store it on the one HD then I'm assuming it can't record 24 bit?

Or can you patch 24 bit through from the 16 to a PC?

I'm just a curious person and wanted to get it straight.

Thanks,
Green Hornet:D :cool: :D

Hello my Green winged friend.

I read up on this one alot as it is about half the price of the 2816.

Here is the deal: it has 24 bit converters so if you use it as a 16 channel mixer and its 2 bit AD/DA converters but record on a PC based system the computer's HD will record and store at 24 bit. I believe you would also have to buy additional software for your PC to manage your mixing from the PC (Pro Tools, Cool Edit etc).

The HD built in to the 16AWG will only store (record) at 16 bit.

It does not have the automated faders that the 2816 does by the way but can do some automated mixing...just no self moving faders.

I realize this an old thread, but I am a new member. Just got an AW16G and use it for location recording. My (very wimpy) tracking computer setup that I used to do location recording with has 2 Yamaha DSP factories (4416's). These work fine at up to 32-bit resolution (my software is only 16 or 24 bit, however).

For live recording, I am getting great results with the AW16G, exporting tracks to wave files for a friend to remix on his computer. For higher-definition, I use and external pre-amp into 1 of the 4416's SP/DIF interface at 24 bits and record at 24 bits.

I hope to use the AW16G as another external pre-amp into the other 4416's SP/DIF input. My question is:

Does the AW16G SP/DIF output send 24-bit data?

In just a short while you should be able to get a good deal on the Korg D1600 and D1200. They are coming out with their new models and the old ones will be cheap. I'm awaitin'. I don't need USB anyway.

I bought a Korg D1200 about three weeks ago. I was disinchanted with the VS840GX and all it's hidden extras you needed to buy and fed up with recording on a computer.

After setting the D1200 up I jumped into the tutorial.
I found it very easy to follow and well laid out.

There is also a VCR Tape that shows what some guy is recording.

I'm going over the tutorial myself for the third time now before I really belly up to the red button and begin serious recording.

The VS840GX was difficult for me.
The D1200 is very easy and the results are the same.

I paid $995 for it at Guitar Center.

It has a UBS connection so you can transfer data to and from your computer. The data from the D1200 to the computer is in WAV format.
It has a CD burner also, you have to install it but it is really easy. Slide it in and tighten one screw.

The effects in the D1200 are pretty good.
I haven't messed with the EQ yet but some one else I talked to said they liked the results.

Back