Will a Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp work with an MXL 990 Condenser mic?

carsoste

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I've got a question that I'm hoping that someone can answer. I'm looking to get a Preamp so that I can record acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously on my Pro Tools system. I'm going to be using an MXL 990 condenser mic to record the guitar, but in order to run that on my MBox 2 Minibundle, I'm going to need a preamp. I was thinking about buying a Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp. So, will a Tube MP Studio Mic Preamp work with an MXL 990 condenser microphone? Can anyone tell me if it will? If not, is there a Preamp comparable in price that I can purchase that will work with an MXL 990 condenser microphone? If someone out there could answer my question I would sincerely appreciate it.
Thanks.
carsoste

so you'd be running the vocal microphone into the XLR input on the Mbox2 and the 990 through a preamp and into another (non-preamplified) input on the Mbox2? Does the Mbox2 have a line-level line-in? If so, then yes. The Tube MP is not very people's favorite preamp, but it should work to get the signal into the computer (through the Mbox2)

I had to go to the Digidesign site to look at the hardware and it has one mic in and one line/DI in.

So yes you can use any external preamp to get another mic channel.

Thanks

Hi,
Thanks to all of you for answering my question. It looks like I'll be getting that preamp. Thanks again.
All the best,
carsoste

I thought we were convincing you to not buy that preamp...lol...its a POS.

I guess he is going for the cheapest gear on the planet. (You know how those know-it-all salesman at GC can talk people in to buying just the "right" gear for the job.) :D

A wise shopper would first read a few professional and user reviews. They are all over the hardware sites, podcast sites, forums, store websites, magazines, and even those affiliate "sales-pitch" comparison pages.

Back