What mixer do you have and which do you love?

Which one do you Own?

• Total voters

Dracon

Just wondering what is the most popular analog mixer out there.
Looking to buy a Mackie Onyx and wondering if I should just wait for something better.

I currently have a small Yamaha MG10 and a Mackie 1604VLZ. I would like to go to the Mackie 1604 Onyx Mixer with the firewire card but want to hear opinions.

So vote on the poll and post what you voted and is it the same as what you would love to have.

Alesis
Behringer
Soundcraft
Yamaha
Mackie
Peavey
TASCAM
Toft

I own a Mackie 1604 vlz pro,and a Yammie MG32/4 but just bought a Soundtrac topaz project 8.
I have not even gotten the chance to plug it in because the power supply is a day behind in shipping.

I'd love to have a Neve or Toft mixer.....
Can't afford it.

Tom

Total mix

I have a Mackie vlz-1642 been very happy with it

Looking at maybe a Mackie 8-bus down the road.

But on a intresting note i've been useing my Total mix software thats for the RME Fireface-800. Like being able to set the presets and change routing at the touch of a button - intresting to run it under midi control later.

With add ons like the octa8 and the adi-8 by RME or even 2 Presonus Digimax FS you have a 26 x 26 channel board not including the spdif that give another 2 channels of IO

With the power of total mix may not get the 8-bus but the verdict is not cast in stone

Also like being able to use it as a format converter aswell

I use the RME mic pres for vocals / acustic etc and the VLZ for drums/keyboards or any line out device.

So far so good. :D

P.S. If your happy with your set up that's all that matters in the end :D

tmix said:
I own a Mackie 1604 vlz pro,and a Yammie MG32/4 but just bought a Soundtrac topaz project 8.
I have not even gotten the chance to plug it in because the power supply is a day behind in shipping.

I'd love to have a Neve or Toft mixer.....
Can't afford it.

Tom

Yes I saw the Toft mixer and they are beautiful but I couldn't find anyone who sells them (although I only did one search). I was looking at their new ATB16 and it looks very nice. Don't know what they sound like but I couldn't even find a price at their website (http://www.toftaudio.com/atb16.html).

SuperGeek said:
P.S. If your happy with your set up that's all that matters in the end :D

Well I am happy with my setup (I don't have much but I love what I have) however I can only record two channels since I own the Delta 44 sound card.

I was looking at the Onyx in part because I like my Mackie mixer very much and thought instead of buying a new sound card perhaps I can throw the money at a mixer with the firewire card which (according to Mackie) will allow me to record 18 channels simultaneously (although I'm not sure how they get two extra channels).

Hence the question. :D

Also wanted to know what folks have out there and why they like their mixers.
I probably could pick out a Neve board from a TASCAM board if they were in a line-up.

I just finished downloading the aif files from Toft.

If you go to the link http://www.toftaudio.com/atb16.html

At the bottom (on the right) they have the sample files. Nice sound, but who's to say it is due to the board alone? There are so many variables, the board, the mics, the engineer, etc.

Very nice sound though.

Onyx is post gain

Dracon said:
Well I am happy with my setup (I don't have much but I love what I have) however I can only record two channels since I own the Delta 44 sound card.

I was looking at the Onyx in part because I like my Mackie mixer very much and thought instead of buying a new sound card perhaps I can throw the money at a mixer with the firewire card which (according to Mackie) will allow me to record 18 channels simultaneously (although I'm not sure how they get two extra channels).

Hence the question. :D

Just to let you know

The firewire is post gain not post fader so everything past the gain is not used - I think there is someone that mods them but im not sure.

it also has only 2 out from the board via fire wire as well

Dracon said:
Yes I saw the Toft mixer and they are beautiful but I couldn't find anyone who sells them

Atlas Pro Audio

4 grand for the 16 channel board.

I use an older Allen & Heath board. I'd love to have something like a Neotek or a Toft or an older modular Soundcraft thats in good shape. Perhaps a Trident if I got really lucky. My next board (if there is a next board) will be inline, thats one thing that I do know. Currently my board only has 8 tape returns for its monitoring section (its basically set up to run with an 8-track tape machine...8 busses and 8 tape returns). Being inline will make a world of difference.

SuperGeek said:

I thought from my brief reading a while ago that the FireWire option is 16 channels out and 2 channels back into the board over the FireWire port?

SuperGeek said:

This is what concerns me! Two out which means they don't have an output of 18 channels but they are combining them all into two channels (L & R I imagine).

I would like to know more but for that I'll have to download the manual.

Adam P said:
I thought from my brief reading a while ago that the FireWire option is 16 channels out and 2 channels back into the board over the FireWire port?

I'm hoping that's the case.

Mixed up

Adam P said:

Sorry got mixed up (parden the pun) :eek:

16 channels for recording post gain and 2 channels playback

Last edited:
ok, for the record:

the onyx 1640 can send up to 18 channels in - 16 independent channels, plus the main stereo mix

then it sends just the stereo mix back to the mixer for playback

I love my onyx. I have owned the 1640, and I currently just use my 1220, and they are really great mixers for the money. I am a big fan of the preamps.

It is XX (number of channels per board) up and 2 back. And there is a workaround for the pre/post gain thing, I just haven't done it yet so I won't comment on that.

They also can be daisy chained together (I have used my 16 with my 12 with no problems) through the firewire card for extra inputs.

Pete

Have a old Mackie VLZ. Want a Soundcraft.
I am however interested in the onyx boards though. Just don't like the way they feel. Cheap feeling to my hands.

F.S.

you're right, the knobs and faders do feel cheap as all shit

i guess that's what mackie had to do in order to keep costs down...good thing they don't sound cheap

Ironklad Audio said:
you're right, the knobs and faders do feel cheap as all shit

i guess that's what mackie had to do in order to keep costs down...good thing they don't sound cheap

Ya, I just don't want scratchy pots & faders in five years :o I did have a very nice feeling yammaha MC802 that was a tank and it had scratchy pots in five years so I guess you never know. My VLZ is about 12 years old and has never had an issue.

F.S.

Ironklad Audio said:
ok, for the record:

the onyx 1640 can send up to 18 channels in - 16 independent channels, plus the main stereo mix

then it sends just the stereo mix back to the mixer for playback

That's great! Hey Irnoklad do you own one?
How do you find the mic pre-amps and is it worth the expenditure for that money (including the Firewire card)?

Thanks for the update!
Just landed in the U.S. from Kuwait. A very long flight (3 days of travel just to get out of Baghdad).

Back