What are the absolute BEST studio monitors money can buy?

triple cubic

Could someone please tell me what the absolute BEST studio monitors money can buy are?

I'd like to know name, brand, and price.

If anyone else knows anything about high end studio monitors, please help me out.

Thanks!

- Akwah

I would say custom built speakers, usually flush mounted, with custom components would probably be the top line stuff...sometimes in excess of $20,000 or more for just a pair.

you may be better off asking that on a pro based BBS...while there are a few people here knowlegable enuff to answer it, it is still a HOMErecording board.....

I hope its ok if I answer even though its a HOMErecording site;)

Check out Meyer HD-1 and the Meyer X-10.

I used the HD-1 for several years and they are the best I have heard. I've been trying to buy a pair for a while now but cant find any owner who is willing to part form them.....

IMO, yep you are qualified to answer it as you were one of the "few people knowledgable enuff"....

Meyer's, heh....i was gonna say a nice pair of Tannoy ProtoJ's........oh well...

I rememberd another company that makes excellent monitors.

I havn't had the chance to actully work on them for more then a few hours but found them to be nice. It seems they are popular here for mixing soundtracks.
Check out the Dynaudio acoustics monitors.

As for prices... I think both companies are going for around the $3000 - $4000 More or less..... for the basic set. But thats from memory and they might be cheaper or more expensive now.

I don't know model numbers, but don't just some *huge* JBLs go for at least $3-4000 each?....not to mention some Westlakes, Genelecs....

Hey...my Auratones were $120 new, back when......they where the best in 'their' catagory...back when.....

Hmmm... let me rephrase the question.

I'm not actually looking for $20,000 speakers... lol

I'm looking for something that is very high quality, but not outrageous. Something that is reliable and will produce great sound for years to come...

Are there any studio monitors that are staples of the industry? Like monitors that are similar to the SM58 in the microphone category... Quality, been around for a long time... Something like that?

Price range? Probably under a $1,000... I'd like to keep it there at least. If I can't get anything really good for under a thousand, I can go higher.

Many people like the Mackie 824 speakers. I personally wouldn't buy a pair, because they are a little on the small side for me. But, they are very accurate ...supposedly;) and....in your "price range",... and probably one of the more popular speakers in production currently for that kind of cash.
If you are looking to drop that kind of $$$, you should really get out and look at what is available at the various stores in your area.. then possibly come back here with some questions, such as if the price is good, etc.....
Get a feel for this, if you haven't already by seeing some of this stuff in person.....and let your ears be the judge.....and, maybe see if you can take a pair home to trial...and....return them if you don't like them to trade towards another pair....and....
;)

NS10m is the staple of the industry. It took me a year to find a pair.

If you are lucky you will find them in a pawn shop for 75.00 a pair like I did.

I just think it's really funny that he started this post asking about the "best monitors money can buy" and it turns out that he has less than a grand to play with!

:D :D

Bruce

haha... yeah well. :)

I think I was jumping the gun, er... wallet a bit there. :) I didn't know there were speakers that cost $20,000!! :)

Best Studio Monitors

White Lines Audio 'Model K' studio monitors. I have done my best mixes on these bad boys. Super fast transient response and amazing dimension that builds from the fundamental frequency. I run them with Bryson mono blocks. Wow! :D

Freddie - welcome to the forums, but this thread is two or three months over being 7 years old! That might be a record :)

Back