Wharfedale vs JBL vs ???

jharris

Wow, you guys have helped me so much and it's just my first day on here...

We're about to buy new speakers/subs/monitors for a church PA. Prices here in New Zealand are high compared to places like the USA. I'm considering Wharfedale EVPX, possibly Wharfedale LX, or JBL jrx series. The EVPX is cheaper by far, not much price difference from LX to JRX. No one seems to say anything bad about the JBLs but it's 50/50 on Wharfedale stuff. Whichever option we go with we will end up with 2x 15" speakers and 2x (15 or 18") subs. Unfortunately most of the info about the wharfedale stuff is coming from salespeople so I don't know if I can trust it. :eek:

If (as I expect) everyone says go with JBL hands-down... we can't afford JBLs for foldbacks as well. We have some dB operas (12" which are currently our fofh) which we can use for folds, but we need a couple more folds. Would it be a mistake to just get two EVPX 15" folds to go with four dB operas for a nice fold system?

I would welcome any advice!

BTW, if you have any experiences with any other speaker brands good or bad as well I'd like to hear about it. Leaning towards Wharfedale or JBL right now though. Please let me know what you think!!!

I know this is an ancient thread, but I like the Mackie active stuff. The C300's aren't bad either, once you EQ them. Put a couple of them into the local Church for FOH with some cheap Wharfedale wedges. The NZ site is www.mackienz.com.

Don't touch Proel's, another local Church thought they were getting a "good deal" buying some "cheap" from Jansen (i.e. at the price they give pretty much anyone who asks) but they sounded horrible compared to the Mackie C300's.

Back