Vacuum Tubes>>>>???? Help.......!!!!!

someone else

Vacuum Tubes>>>>???? Help.......!!!!!

I just contacted a guy today that has a shitload of old tubes, some of which I am familiar with, because I recognize the numbers from musical instrument amps...

The rest, and there are several boxes I have NO clue what they are for.......

RCA, GE, SYLVANIA, RAYATHON, are some of the names, and there is also two or three, maybe more, (I only saw about 1/4 of what was there) old amplifiers, like for home hi/fi, as well as a tube tester, and other misc. boxes with switches, resisters, etc etc I have no idea what to offer him, he doesn't want to sell pieces, he wants to dump it all at once.....

HELP !!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Please someone call me, or E me, tell me I am not making a mistake buying it all....... Make me feel like it's not a huge mistake to buy it all on speculation.....

I only have a few days, then it will be too late.....

Upstate:D

you gots email from me!

Ha ha ha!! I may be one of the biggest tube-heads in existance! I also own 6 tube amplifiers, which may just make me certifiable!!

Tubes are fun. I like them as much as I like Tweed!

H2H

Thanks H2H, I am fast becoming a 'Tube-Head' myself, especially after playing thru my Trace for a while.....

I answered your E already, and would be real happy to share the bounty with ya,.... I just hope after I get it all home, and go thru the boxes that I didn't see, that the % of amp tubes is about the same as the boxes I did see.
That would mean somewhere around 20-30 Tubes we could really use in guitar amps....
That would be totally awesome, to have all those to try out ... I'm sure they all sound a little different from one another....

I'll let you know if I end up with em....

Right now, funds are tight, as the wife isn't working, and her unemployment ran out last month.....
So, all bills are now on my head, and a stagehand really isn;t the steadiest job I can think of..... If ya catch my drift....

Talk to ya later dude...
Call me if ya want, I'm home, (518)792-3977

Upstate:D

Many tubes are interchangable!

Many tubes are interchangable!

The first number determines voltage...

The last number designates the number of socket pins.

EX: 6L6 = 6 volts and 6 pins
12AX7 - 12 volts 7 pins

Have fun, but be careful sparks can fly!

Dom

Thanks Dom, sounds like you Know...

I have since found out that there was not as much as met the eye,
Already puschased, and found the following
2, Heath Osciliscopes,
1 signal generator,
at least 2 V/Ohm Meters, ( very old, and portable)
A whole box full of various meters,(miliamps,Volts,etc also old)
A very funny lookin, old lookin,wooden box W 1/4" plug holes on the bottom, 8 or 10 of em, and strange lookin on the inside as well..... I'll post a photo, shortly, with a question mark till someone inentifies it,..... old phone equip. of some sort....
aprox 300 vacuum tubes, about 1/2 of which are in boxes.
I think the guy was scamin me on whether they all were new old stock, or not, I never really asked, and maybe seeing all the boxes, and hoping they were, I might have imagined him telling me they were......and after examining several boxed individual tubes, I found that most of them didn't match what the box said, and all were used, instead of new. Don't know if they are all like that, but........

Any way, between all the stuff that was there, ( I went in 1/2s with a friend) and what we have determined as 'Sellable' on Ebay, we will get our money back at least.....

I will post the tube #s when I have time to go thru them all

Upstate :confused:

Hey Upstate-

Keep an eye out for me for a 5751 (looks liek a 12ax7, but its not), I am in need of one for my Prosonic. Also, the old '68 Twin reverb is aching for some plain jane old RCA or GE 12ax7's. I'll gladly buy a few off you if you end up with any to spare.

!:)!

H2H

H2H,
I will E you when I have a better idea of what all is usable,
and by the way, also in the haul was a couple of books that have descriptions, and explainations of Sylvania tubes, along with photos.
I'm sure most of the info would generally apply to the other brands, and there was a 'equivalant' book as well, I mean one that tells you other tube numbers that will work as replacements, if you can't find original equipment. I have already found some interesting info in that one,.....
With a bit more studying, I will post some pertinant info here, or maybe in the Guitar/Bass forum....

Later

Upstate :D

Back