Using Pad????

Pads basically reduce (attenuate) signal strength. On mics, if you're recording a loud source, the pad switch will help so you don't get an overloaded signal. Same with pre-amps, etc. Engage the pad to help get a better level of signal to it's final destination. I've used pad switches on really sensitive condensers while recording drums.

I've used the pad on similar things, a 10dB pad on my small diaphragm condenser works great for recording my 4x10" Fender tube amp when its cranked up... I also use the pad switch on the channels of my Yamaha mixer when i am running digital tape recorders into it, and the signal coming in is much hotter than the board can handle (the recorder puts out a signal at +4dB as opposed to -10, which the board is designed to handle).

Ford Van said:
I sort of miss the old days when a person who advertises his studio actually knew what a pad was BEFORE he was open for business. :(

Welcome to the new world, gramps! Now I can master your album with my cracked Waves and T-Racks for $11. Beat that! :p :rolleyes:

Mastering with Waves?? I like to run my final mixdown into the mic in port and record it with Windows Sound Recorder. Especially if you crank the input to the computer up way past distortion level, it creates a nice compression. mmm crackly

cusebassman said:
Mastering with Waves?? I like to run my final mixdown into the mic in port and record it with Windows Sound Recorder. Especially if you crank the input to the computer up way past distortion level, it creates a nice compression. mmm crackly

I thought I was the only one who knew this secret.

Ford Van said:
I sort of miss the old days when a person who advertises his studio actually knew what a pad was BEFORE he was open for business. :(

Yeah, remind me to book some time there. :rolleyes:

Ford Van said:

fuck off and listen to everyother high school studio recordings

i get bands from all over the area cause no ones knows what they're doing in high school ... except for .... not to sound cocky ..

those with the neg rep can also fuck off because im not a stupid kid and i do know ALOT about recording .. and video editing

OK, first off

I've got nothing against you, that I can remember. And just because you've got a name for your 'studio', I should realize that that doesn't necessarily imply that you actually are running a business. I've had a zillion names for my 'studios' over the years, and I've never recorded anyone but me, my friends, or bands I was in at the time. It's just fun to name it, like naming your guitars.

That being said, I'm sorry, but IMO, you shouldn't really be passing yourself off as a knowledgable studio operator, even to high school kids, if you don't know what a pad is. That's pretty basic stuff, and implies you haven't done even a minimum (such as reading your manuals) of the homework you should have.

Sorry, but there it is. However, I sure as heck didn't give you any neg rep. I reserve that for people that I consider offensive enough to put on my ignore list.

Perhaps I should have reserved my sarcasm. It's a problem I have, I know.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from asking more questions, so I for one, will lay off of you in the future.

I hope we're cool now.

Ford, on the other hand, can't be controlled, so I can't help you there.

notCardio said:
I've got nothing against you, that I can remember. And just because you've got a name for your 'studio', I should realize that that doesn't necessarily imply that you actually are running a business. I've had a zillion names for my 'studios' over the years, and I've never recorded anyone but me, my friends, or bands I was in at the time. It's just fun to name it, like naming your guitars.

That being said, I'm sorry, but IMO, you shouldn't really be passing yourself off as a knowledgable studio operator, even to high school kids, if you don't know what a pad is. That's pretty basic stuff, and implies you haven't done even a minimum (such as reading your manuals) of the homework you should have.

Sorry, but there it is. However, I sure as heck didn't give you any neg rep. I reserve that for people that I consider offensive enough to put on my ignore list.

Perhaps I should have reserved my sarcasm. It's a problem I have, I know.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from asking more questions, so I for one, will lay off of you in the future.

I hope we're cool now.

Ford, on the other hand, can't be controlled, so I can't help you there.

i agree with you on everything there and we are cool however

i have read so many things and ive been studying this subject for the past 4 years and just some things dont stick and even though i didnt know the basics of pads, i quickly found out. How? by asking so really i dont see any harm in asking a basic question.

i do not pass myself off as some pro studio engineer but i do know alot and i have done much more than my minimum level of homework.

Well, that's why I said I don't ever want to discourage you or anyone else from asking anything. That's supposedly why we're all here.

I know I ask some pretty basic stuff too, and usually folks are nice enough not to try to make me feel like an idiot. What's worse is I forget and then have to ask the same questions again. :o

We're cool.

The logo for your studio looks cool. How did you make that? Photoshop?

Ford Van said:
LOL....this pussyboi leaves me UNSIGNED neg rep. LOL

i didn't figure i would have to sign it .. and if I'm the pussyboi than apparently i didn't

and look at that i have some unsigned rep ??? shit looks like were dealing with another pussyboi

Nick The Man said:
i didn't figure i would have to sign it .. and if I'm the pussyboi than apparently i didn't

and look at that i have some unsigned rep ??? shit looks like were dealing with another pussyboi

I sign it every time. Gladly!!!

Last edited:
Back