Use of external EQ and Effects processor

KevinTran

Hey guys,

I wasn't planning on using a Peavy EQ and a Digitech Effects Processor that I have for recording since most tracks can be manipulated via software.

But it sucks to have things just sitting around. Are there benefits to controlling the feed going in to the soundcard versus doing all effects and eq'ing on the computer?

kt

Kevin, the main advantage to hardware processing is it usually sounds way better.
Try recording a dry track and a completely wet track effected by your outboard processor. You can choose to mute the wet track until mixing and use as much level from that as you want to add reverb or delay ect.

jake-owa said:
Kevin, the main advantage to hardware processing is it usually sounds way better.
Try recording a dry track and a completely wet track effected by your outboard processor. You can choose to mute the wet track until mixing and use as much level from that as you want to add reverb or delay ect.

thanks jake

jake-owa said:

But for it to sound way better you have to be using way better outboard gear. I think there are plugin eq and processors that will sound better than the Peavey and Digitech mentioned here.

The main reason to use this specific hardware would be for any particular color or sound that may be unique to it. As far as quality alone, I think a good plugin can beat both.

However, I do agree that plugins can't yet match really fine analog gear or high end outboard processors.

SonicAlbert said:
But for it to sound way better you have to be using way better outboard gear. I think there are plugin eq and processors that will sound better than the Peavey and Digitech mentioned here.

The main reason to use this specific hardware would be for any particular color or sound that may be unique to it. As far as quality alone, I think a good plugin can beat both.

However, I do agree that plugins can't yet match really fine analog gear or high end outboard processors.
I disagree, I have a plugin for the 480L that I would never use before my digitech outboard. I find plugins make a mix sound two dimensional and scimpy, they really are no substitute in my opinion.

Back