Upgrading Tascam US-1641 to US-16x08

andrewnelles

I've been using a Tascam US-1641 for a number of years now, and have been quite happy with it. However, after upgrading to OSX 10.12, it's now useless as Tascam isn't updating the drivers it seems. I could change back to an earlier OS, but I'm thinking it's time to sell and upgrade.

I've been looking at the newer Tascam US-16x08, since it would be a pretty seamless swap, and I wouldn't need to rethink my patchbay, but one thing stood out to me. They seem to have eliminated the knob that blends Input/Computer into the monitor/headphone feed. Do they have this option on the software side of things now? Or is there another way of doing the same thing? That's really my only concern, since I was a fan of that blend knob.

I'm open to suggestions of alternate units, but the Tascam seems to be the only item in my budget range that fits my requirement of a minimum of 8 Mic Pre and 4 Line Inputs. Presonus and Focusrite both seem to have nicer units, but they require external units to get that many inputs, which then exceeds my budget. I realize the Tascam isn't the best thing out there, but the Us-1641 kept me happy for years.

Thanks for any input.

Andrew,
I've had one since 2010, used on my PC based Windows XP and it became less useful, when Tascam's drivers never upgraded any higher.
My newer machine HP core i7 8 gig, etc., has trouble seeing more than two tracks.
But my nephews starting up recording with a new Mac (OSX 10 (ver ?). He'll be using logic software. Will he "see" discreet multitracks on the screen?
Today, I can only "see" two/four tracks at a time with several different DAW programs.
Don't know much about Mac.
Tom

i had the 1641 and agree its a great price for that. you cant go wrong upgrading for $250, sell the old one for $100...your out $150.
like you said a small change to the newer one that should last for years.
and you have $100 in your pocket.

Back