Upgrading my Audio Interface

JuicesFlowin

Hello!

I hope that I am posting this in the right place. I want to upgrade my audio interface, and I need some advice. I’ve done some research, and I’m trying to make a decision.

I’ll start with some background. I currently own a Presonus Audiobox that I’ve had for roughly three years. It’s a basic audio interface with two line/mic inputs, midi in/out, monitor outputs, and a headphone jack. My Audiobox and I have had some great times, but recently I’ve found myself longing for more.

The main issue is that I want to be able to record my drums with more than two mics. I am looking for something with at least six inputs (with preamps). I considered a mixer (Mackie ProFX 12v2), but I want to be able to record the tracks separately into my DAW. With the Mackie, you can only record the master bus to digital (I think).

I’ve also looked at the Focusrite Scarlett series, but these units are a little pricey (for what I’m looking for). I am still considering this option, but I don’t want to spend more than I have to.

The behringer U-PHORIA UMC 1820 looks like it has what I’m looking for, but I’m worried about the quality (because of stories I’ve heard about behringer gear).

Is there a different kind of gear that could do what I’m looking for as a supplement to my current audio interface? Any advice would be much appreciated!

The main issue is that I want to be able to record my drums with more than two mics. I am looking for something with at least six inputs (with preamps). I considered a mixer (Mackie ProFX 12v2), but I want to be able to record the tracks separately into my DAW. With the Mackie, you can only record the master bus to digital (I think).

Yes, mixers only have a l/r channel input to your DAW.

I’ve also looked at the Focusrite Scarlett series, but these units are a little pricey (for what I’m looking for). I am still considering this option, but I don’t want to spend more than I have to.

You must realize that when you start using 6, 8, 12, 16 and 24 inputs, the price is going to go up with it.

The behringer U-PHORIA UMC 1820 looks like it has what I’m looking for, but I’m worried about the quality (because of stories I’ve heard about behringer gear).

Wow! Your right, people who bought this unit don't really seem to be very happy with it.

Is there a different kind of gear that could do what I’m looking for as a supplement to my current audio interface? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Check out the Tascam US 16x8. It have very clean pre-amps, 16 inputs, 8 outs and midi in/out as well. I love mine. My noise floor is around a -97dbs with my inputs set between a -12dbs and -18dbs. It's around a $100 more then the 1820.

The U-PHORIA interface will serve you well, even though all that you listed are side grades. The focusrite Scarlett is of the same level as beringer U-PHORIA series and the FCA series. The difference is Focusrite made an ASIO driver for their unit, but it has bugs (one of the biggest bugs is clock drifting between recording material and the channel(s) being recorded in most DAWs.)

Actual upgrades out the consumer class devices start at around $1200.

As I was looking up all specs of the Tascam I found some really funny hype on one site that sells the unit. NE5532 Op-Amps are quite and good op amps but this hype below was a bit over the top for me as an electronics nerd.

NE5532 Op-Amps
Tascam uses proven components throughout the US-16x08. One example is the NE5532 op-amp, used throughout classic recording consoles and signal processors due to their musical sound

Like duh. Op amps neither have a musical sound or are they supposed to "color" any signal passing through them in any way or that would be self defeating.

Back