unhappy with sound... upgrading interface

Catapult

first let me give u guys my set up.
i use the neumann tlm102 mic, an ISA One analog Preamp, and a 2i2 interface.
here is a video of a song that i made using said equipment.
Fxckhead - Goner - YouTube (not making any money off of this if you click it, no worries.)
at first i thought the quality was good, until i had it in a playlist of professional recordings.... in which case it shocked me at just how low quality it was. Mine seems muffled and just... less good LOL.
Now, I know I have a good microphone, and a preamp with a great reputation.... but the 2i2 is about as basic and beginner level an interface as they come.
I was looking at the Saffire Pro 26 as an upgrade to it... Would I be able to tell the difference between the 2? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
My budget is $200-$400... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It actually sounds to me like the recorded elements (just vox right?) are the strongest part of the song. The samples are where it falls down a bit I think. The interface only really has an effect on things you record.

The mix could use a little work too. I think if you can find higher fidelity samples and some help with the mix (here at the clinic is a good start!) you'll be really happy with the end result.

i bought this beat way back in 2014 for like $50. it's an MP3 and the producer said there were no samples used in it... it could just be the fact that it's an mp3, right? Or did you mean something else when you said samples.. (I'm a music vernacular nOOb) and I have never mixed before that song haha just don't have $100 to shell out for a mix for every song I put out so I figured I'd just try myself.
Thanks for the reply!

In that case I'm afraid you can't do much. Your vox sound real good actually, I think your pre/interface sound real nice. Some more compression on the vox could help, they're popping out a little bit in a few places.

i bought this beat way back in 2014 for like $50. it's an MP3 and the producer said there were no samples used in it... it could just be the fact that it's an mp3, right? Or did you mean something else when you said samples.. (I'm a music vernacular nOOb) and I have never mixed before that song haha just don't have $100 to shell out for a mix for every song I put out so I figured I'd just try myself.
Thanks for the reply!

Try to buy quality files, not mp3.

Back