Which UAD comp. plugs to get?

JTC111

Of the following UAD plug-ins, I'd be interested in hearing opinions from those of you that are familiar with them as to their usefulness to tracking folk/singer-songwriter recordings:

Fairchild 670
LA-2A
LA-3A
Neve 33609

I've only worked with the LA-2A plug so I'd be curious as to how this group stacks up. Maybe some of you could rank them 1-4 for me?
Thanks!

The LA2A, the 1176LN - Uh... The FC is "okay" if you really need M/S, but it's certainly not a "go to" compressor (even in real life, no matter what the marketing department says). The Neve 33609 is very handy though...

If you currently only have one UAD-1 card...and are considering adding another one... consider getting a used Mackie version of the UAD-1.

It comes with both the excellent LA-2A and 1176N plugins included (as opposed to the Universal Audio Project Pak that does not come with these).

Regards

I use the LA2A a lot. The 1176LN as well.

But I think my favorite is the comp in the Neve 88RS channel strip. To my ears, it gives a really nice but subtle color (it seems to do something to the high end - it always makes it creamier in a really good way), and the first couple of db of gain reduction are very transparant (as long as you set the release right - "auto" usually works well). You also get a nice EQ section, gate, and the ability to sidechain or switch around the order of the comp and EQ.

It's a few more bucks than the other plugs, but you get more. And it's really low on the DSP usage compared with other good UAD comps.

I use both the LA2A and the 1176LN, they are my go to compressors. I use 2 UAD cards, if I had 3 I'd try the Neve but I don't have the money or the spare slots in my recording rig to add another card.

I'd like to demo the VLA but with most of the demos on my cards I haven't used them because I haven't NEEDED anything different to what I'm already using

Back